Ryder switches to low-viscosity, high-efficiency engine oil

kscarbel2

Fleet Owner / January 27, 2015

Ryder System has converted its bulk oil program over to a low-viscosity, high-efficiency engine oil. The company is now using 10W-30 oil in all lease, rental and maintenance customer vehicles as part of its regular preventative maintenance program.

By using the more efficient oil, Rydersaid customers will achieve up to a 1.5% improvement in fuel economy. In addition, the move will translate into a collective reduction of almost 110,000 metric tons of carbon (CO2) emissions annually.

“As a leader in our industry, we have a unique opportunity and ability to improve cost efficiencies and reduce the environmental impacts of our operations, as well as those of the tens of thousands of customers we serve,” said Scott Perry, vice president of supply management and global fuel products. “This initiative is the latest example of proactive steps we take to continually improve the performance and sustainability of our customers’ fleets.”

Ryder said it uses approximately three million gallons of engine oil in its operations each year. Through the company’s automotive waste recycle and reuse program, it annually recycles approximately 3 million gallons of used oil, 100,000 million gallons of oily water, 12,000 drums of used oil filters, 47,000 gallons of solvent, and 100,000 automotive batteries.

Viscosity is a major factor in managing forces in journal bearings if memory serves me correctly. It impacts the film thickness inside the assembly and the ability of the bearing to properly "wedge" or support the journal with oil rather than contact with the bearing itself. It also serves to retain oil in the bearings for the high wear times like start up. I guess the question becomes, does the increase in fuel economy offset the shortened engine life and overhaul costs over its service life? I'd not go there unless the guy in charge of bearing design from Cat and Cummins says yes, go for it.

I'll stick with the manuals...My $0.02

Greg

In 2010, due to advances in oil technology, most of the global car makers went to 0W-20 engine oil. They also recommended owners of pre-2010 cars switch over to the new 0W-20 oil. It provides the same protection as the previous 10W30 and so forth, but also yields greater fuel economy (easier winter starting is a secondary benefit).

This trend will be heading our way as well.