Has anyone ever changed to air ride suspension on a B?

I think, at least for the rear, use a 4 link or even just a three link(ladderbar), panhard bar and tall bags. I don't think the stock suspension from the rear of a B will give you enough travel even with one spring as a locator. If you look closely at your B, the rearend is held in location by the pivot pin(in the center of the spring pack) but the track location(and weight bearing) is held by the end supports. That is not going to give you much articulation.

My Neway has maybe 4" of drop when I dump the bags, but it will not get it any where near the look of that IH. I'm betting that IH was not that tall of a truck to begin with(KB4? 5?). Not like the B model. Plus they used really short sidewall tires.

It is all doable, but likely not use any of the original Mack suspension.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

to get as low as your wanting you going to have to notch the frame your axle will hit the frame long before your as low as your wanting to go

freighttrain, i read your thread nice work on your truck, and your sig pic does not do your truck justice.

Here is the link to the folks that custom fab the air ride on the "Gears" show truck

https://kelderman.com/

If you are that serious about doing it, I would make a call to them and see if they can't give you some tips. The truck they lowered kept a solid front axel but it was cut and modified here is the link to "Gears" and you watch the episode video

https://www.staceydavid.com/projects/19427/heavy-metal-2291

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Wow...after not seeing that show for a few years, I kinda wondered what ever happened to that old Binder he had. I got to admit, I like the shorty tow truck look. It is following in line with a 70's hot wheels kinda look.

Ezrider. Thanks. The truck will never be a show stopper. I just keep updating stuff as time/money allow.

Larry

Pretty much typical B model. You will notice, like I mentioned above, the rear suspension is in two parts. The lower forward arm holds the suspension in place. The springs sit in pockets and that suppports the truck and keeps it tracking straight. To try to get all that to work properly and have it drop 5-6" will be difficult. Better to make a 4bar setup and bag the rear. All the travel in the world and no suspension binding.

• Like 1

Larry