Replacing tires, old not worn out.

Freightrain

Ok, after 12 yrs on the Yoko's on the front of the B, I noticed some very fine checking on the sidwalls. Not broke through, just fine lines. The tires are dated 13 yrs old, but with only 50K miles on them they have life left in them.

I plan on putting a new set of steers on next spring just because I don't want to have to deal with a blowout. The drives have no issue and I don't feel they are as much a problem if they did. Up front, I kinda like to not have to wonder when they will come apart.

Would they be worth anything to someone for a trailer tire? Kinda like to get a few bucks back to cover the new ones. I doubt I'll get new ones for the $250 I paid for these back in 2002. I know it is at least $500 each now if I try to get something better then a chinese knockoff. Or maybe it isn't worth it?

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Ya, I spent $1800 back when I put all six on it(converted from tube type). Didn't think time would go by so quickly and have to do it again...ugh. I figure $400+ for a decent tire like a Firestone or such.

I would hope someone would give me something for these old ones? $75 each? $50? Or would the date code pretty much make them worthless for anyone?

Larry

Good idea to replace the steers IMO,cheap insurance to the alternative of a weekend blowout miles from home :twothumbsup:

or worse!!

What size are they? Might work as spares for my trailer.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

They could fail quickly if put into regular service where heat, weight, and mileage will be much more of an issue, even on a trailer. Maybe someone with a farm truck for example, can use them for running around town? Look at the bright side, the cost of these was about $38 per year.

• Like 1

Jim

Ya, price per year was not bad at all. And for not having to deal with flats or such was also a good thing. I try to keep things simple. I'll spend some money to make my life easier. Plus the fact when a front goes out it usually takes lots of things around it with it. Not a good thing in my book.

Paul, they are 22.5's.

Larry