Positive or negative ground B Model

While looking my truck over yesterday, I was trying to figure out if it had been changed to a negative ground, since it has had an alternator installed, I followed the positive side of the battery cable to the solenoid, and the negative side battery cable, goes to the front of the starter. Is the front of the starter being used as the ground? As far as I can see, it looks like it is set up as a 12 volt starting system. But I was hoping to see one of the battery cables grounded to the frame, so now I'm still not sure! Lol B ut I would imagine that the lead going to the solenoid on the starter is the positive, and the one bolted to the front of the starter is the ground. Is this correct?

Keith

Remove that negative cable from the terminal. Is the terminal isolated from the case? Or is it just a stud? If just a stud, then it IS negative ground.

On my truck, both neg and pos go directly to the starter.

I would install a good, heavy ground strap to the frame(if you don't find one). If not you might find you have issue later with lights and the such. Especially if you rely on some rusty little piece of 16ga wire that is currently in use somewhere on the truck. Better safe then sorry.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Hi, there is NO ground to the frame right now, and no radio, or CB in the truck, and I haven't been able to get that close to the solenoid to tell how many wires going to it yet. When you mention the Negative cable from the terminal, are you referring to the terminal that it is attached to on the front of the starter?