2000 Cx With Propane Injection

Mackpro

Had this 2000 CX Mack with a 400hp ETECH engine in the shop for some minor repair and I noticed something weird. The customer or someone had added a homemade propane injection set-up, they had a propane tank off of a fork lift mounted behind the cab and the regulator/valve was on the driver side of the engine, it had a pressure switch with wires on the intake manifold and small hose going into the air cleaner duct. The injector and piping went in right before the turbo intake. Here are some pics. Didnt get to talk to the owner about preformance gains. I have seen propane added on smaller diesel engines but has anyone else seen anything like this on a big engine.

Edited by Mackpro

Had this 2000 CX Mack with a 400hp ETECH engine in the shop for some minor repair and I noticed something weird. The customer or someone had added a homemade propane injection set-up, they had a propane tank off of a fork lift mounted behind the cab and the regulator/valve was on the driver side of the engine, it had a pressure switch with wires on the intake manifold and small hose going into the air cleaner duct. The injector and piping went in right before the turbo intake. Here are some pics. Didnt get to talk to the owner about preformance gains. I have seen propane added on smaller diesel engines but has anyone else seen anything like this on a big engine.

In the words of Tim Taylor, "MORE POWER!!! ARG ARG ARG!!!"

I'm not going to claim to know much, but I have a cousin whose husband is a trucker running an older mechanical 3406 cat with a propane setup, his claim is close to 1 mpg gain with propane..... not sure exactly how much propane is used but it varies according to boost pressure. Propane is supposed to speed up the flame front in the combustion chamber and burn more completely the diesel being injected... His claim is that the increased in mileage more than covers the cost of the propane..

Friend ran it on his '97 F350 Powerstroke. It really helped on the long hills, as he pulled 50' race trailer.

Stan Walls put some on his 673 in his B model, though it didn't really help much. I think the right volume would have alot to do with it, and not sure what he used to regulate it(something off a pickup type hook up I think). Might not have been big enough?

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"