Bmodel front end repair question

Bobby j

I have a '64 bmodel with power steering that has the power assist bar bolted to tie rod bar........ Here's my question are the tie rod ends right and left hand threaded or are they both right hand threaded like the older mb models did where you had to remove the bar to turn ends when you set the toe-in ?? Also front shock rods with the grease able knuckles on both ends can these parts still be had ?? Out of both sides I could get by with replacing one.or is it better to replace all that old stuff with new style shocks ?? Any help or suggestions will be most appreciated I have done f, r, u, mb, mc, ch, but never a bmodel.......thanks

Have not looked for shock parts in a while but I don't think new parts are out there. Probably could fab some brackets for a modern shocks.

More than likely your tie rod is course on one side and fine on the other. It could be changed to right and left thread with a new cross tube and tie rods if needed.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

I took my '60 B Model with power assist steering to have the toe set and both tie rod ends were the same thread. They had to take them loose along with the power assist bracket on the tie rod. It took about 1.5 hours and cost $140. The original setting was way out and after adjustment it made a big difference.

I have a '64 bmodel with power steering that has the power assist bar bolted to tie rod bar........ Here's my question are the tie rod ends right and left hand threaded or are they both right hand threaded like the older mb models did where you had to remove the bar to turn ends when you set the toe-in ?? Also front shock rods with the grease able knuckles on both ends can these parts still be had ?? Out of both sides I could get by with replacing one.or is it better to replace all that old stuff with new style shocks ?? Any help or suggestions will be most appreciated I have done f, r, u, mb, mc, ch, but never a bmodel.......thanks

On the old tie rods that have the R.H. thread on both ends you DON'T have to remove the ends to set the toe!

That's why there are fine threads on one end and coarse threads on the other.

I can't remember which side had the coarse threads on it for sure but as an example say the coarse threads are on the R.H. side

if you turn the tube up on the R.H. side the tie rod will become shorter and decrease the toe in and vice versa!

Think about it for a while, it will make sense.

Ron

• Like 2

Yup, since one thread is finer, it will move slower then the other end, in turn changing the length of the rod while you turn it. I found that out after putting new tie rod ends on my B a couple years ago. It really through me for a loop, til I figured it out.

I pulled my shock/dampers off a couple years ago. I could move them, I know there is suppose to be some kind of fluid in them. I filled them with some motor oil and bolted them back on. I had one rod end fall apart one me and it bent the rod as it folded under the axle(ugh). I bought some heim ends and threaded rods and made new rods for both sides. I think the original bolts were 9/16", which you can't get a heim that size. I got 5/8" and just allowed a little slop. I suppose you could make a thin wall spacer or such but it has not made any difference.

• Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"