Axle Housing (Rear) 1998 MACK CL713

Yes I've found 1998 Cl-713 for a good price however the Axle Housing (Rear) has a crack in it! It has stopped him from running but me personally if I decide to purchase it would want to fix it! Wanted to know where the best place might be to look for a used one & if anyone knows what they are priced at used! And how many hours in labor? Many thanks.

Usually crack around the bolts hole for the carrier to go in. Ive seen worse though. These are usually the welded together 2 piece housings. You see a lot of trucks with the original front and a cast replacement rear.

Curiosity has taken hold....what is the reason? Cheaper, easier to find?

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

Where is it cracked Mack rears on Hendrickson Air rides of that vintage are famous for cracking under and around the saddle for the u- bolts they blamed it on loose u-bolts but some did it anyway. The only fix we found on the 94 CL we had was to V out the crack in the housing with a grinder and weld it then grind it flat where the saddle sits on it then you need to weld the saddle to the housing so it doesn't move. Then if your unbolted come loose it will save the housing. Even if it's cracked elsewhere I'm sure you could fix it.

If you're going to grind a groove along the crack and weld it up yourself, don't forget to drill out the ends of the cracks. A small hole is all you need...you're just trying to make sure the crack is contained and won't come back. I welded up my housing a few years ago...didn't think to weld the saddle to the housing, though...not a bad idea. All I did was use the welder to build up that knob that positions the saddle on the housing. Don't even need a big welder...at the time all I had was a wire feed running .35 flux core wire and if I hadn't told you I'd done it, you'd never know it was ever cracked.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I took a look at the truck today and the rear hosing had a crack that they welded on the front of the housing near the front right! It looked like the weld held but he told me that he thinks another crack stared beside it! I really could get a good look because he's putting a new rebuilt Mack tranny in her! I'm really think I'm going to buy her a few months ago he had new reman Engine out in her, clutch, that rear end that has a leak was a remack read end put in a year ago. He put to knew tie rods on the front and new turbo when he put motor in! This guy had bought a few newer trucks and BANG HE LOST HIS MAJOR CONTRACT! So now he needs some quick money to keep things in order long story short he offered me this truck 98 Cl 700 six axel Dump for $20,000 I just don't see how I can go wrong!