Schwitzer (in house) turbo rebuild for E-7

Hey guys I'm at it again in the shop with another sick bulldog. I'm working on a 96' CH613 with a E7... The problem this time around is quite simple, it has a worn turbo that's spitting oil into the exhaust. Now normally I would go out and just buy a rebuilt unit. But this time I want to do something different, the turbocharger is a BW schwitzer S3BL089 and in an effort to save money (hopefully) I have decided to rebuild the unit myself.

http://bit.ly/1cHIkCA

^ I have bought that rebuild kit from ebay that seems to be as complete as I can get it, now does anyone have any tips or tricks before I tackle this task? It would be my first time in a turbocharger but definitely not my first time rebuilding other parts.

I'm not replacing either wheel or shaft. I'm only going in to do seals and bearings. The turbo is in it's early stages of wear so I caught it just in time before further damage happened. I'm simply going to give it a shot, if it doesn't work well I only lost $79 and a few hours of my time. If I have to end up replacing it with a reman unit then I still have a couple cores laying around the shop to use for exchange. Now like I said, we do alit of work in house for our trucks so a turbo doesn't really sound challenging but I don't mean to sound like a jackass know it all. So that's why I'm here for tips! :) haha. Thanks guys!

Oh gearhead204. Where could I find one of these older manuals you talk about? Are you talking about like an old e-7 shop manual?

The problem with repairing things like a turbo your self is if its going to fail it will in most cases not tell you its going to blow up maybe away from home.Just think what the toll bill would be. I have seen many blowed turbos that caused other damage.Most of the mistakes drivers make is trying to go on to a good parking spot and running it low on oil.If its a toy truck then go for it but if your making a living with it be carefull and do some thinking.Replacing the parts is not that big of deal but knowing when to give up and exchange or repair that is not all that easy.Its not even common for a commercial shop to try to repair them because too many problems like housing wear or wear on the shaft and how to get the wheel off as well as how to get it back together with out breaking a seal.Year back I and many guys have resealed them but not all can be resealed.That turbo there has a double floating bushing meaning a wear can be found on the housing also.

• Like 1

glenn akers

I'm not replacing either wheel or shaft. I'm only going in to do seals and bearings. The turbo is in it's early stages of wear so I caught it just in time before further damage happened. I'm simply going to give it a shot, if it doesn't work well I only lost $79 and a few hours of my time. If I have to end up replacing it with a reman unit then I still have a couple cores laying around the shop to use for exchange. Now like I said, we do alit of work in house for our trucks so a turbo doesn't really sound challenging but I don't mean to sound like a jackass know it all. So that's why I'm here for tips! :) haha. Thanks guys!

Oh gearhead204. Where could I find one of these older manuals you talk about? Are you talking about like an old e-7 shop manual?

Damn kids no like a old e-6 book not the new stuff (e-7) LOL !!!!!!!!

Theakerstwo... Just the type of reply I wanted, I understand there are reasons why I should send my turbo off to the qualified professionals that reman turbos for a living. I also understand that I have never popped one of these open and it would be a learning experience. You're never too old to learn new stuff! Lol. I will consider your advice and tread lightly as I continue with the repair. If I spot anything out of the norm I will just call it all off and buy a reman unit from my supplier. I like coming back here for knowledge from you guys because y'all tell it like it is!

Yeah yeah to be honest I have never messed with an e6!! Lol!