Mack or Volvo

Looking at new trucks.Have a local dealer that sells both.Looking at MP8's 445E or 455 on both and M-Drive on both.I read on hear that the EGR and DPF has different softwear.And maybe fuel system is a little different.The Mack has twin"Y" that is supose to improve tire wear by 30%.Mack apears to have an edge on fuel mileage.What do you think? My personal choice is direct drive with 2:64's

Essentially both Volvo and Mack on-highway trucks have the same chassis, SCR-equipped powertrains, AMT transmission (I-Shift/mDrive that you want) and warranties* (see below).

It is troubling that neither brand is proud enough of their new vehicle warranties to display them on their websites (Under a tab labeled “Why buy Mack/Volvo?). A customer shouldn’t have to “Google search” in order to dig up this particularly important information. Apparently they don’t feel strongly about their warranties.

Having narrowed your new truck search to Mack and Volvo, and wanting the AMT and air ride suspension**, the difference between the trucks is largely limited to the cab (Both Mack and Volvo promote Meritor drive axles on their on-highway models). So finally, it may be the differing cab design styles that influences your purchase decision.

Seeing the writing on the wall when Volvo acquired Mack, most Mack distributors aggressively pursued purchasing the Volvo franchises in their sales territories. As a result, after-sales support representation for either brand is roughly the same.

*Mack and Volvo New Vehicle Warranties

http://www.macktrucks.com/assets/mack/Service/US10OperatorManuals/PV776-21502481.pdf

https://www.volvotrucksemedia.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=10259&GroupId=542 (click on “View File”)

** The Mack-branded Twin-Y air suspension and Volvo-branded “Blade” air suspension are the same product.

Essentially both Volvo and Mack on-highway trucks have the same chassis, SCR-equipped powertrains, AMT transmission (I-Shift/mDrive that you want) and warranties* (see below).

It is troubling that neither brand is proud enough of their new vehicle warranties to display them on their websites (Under a tab labeled “Why buy Mack/Volvo?). A customer shouldn’t have to “Google search” in order to dig up this particularly important information. Apparently they don’t feel strongly about their warranties.

Having narrowed your new truck search to Mack and Volvo, and wanting the AMT and air ride suspension**, the difference between the trucks is largely limited to the cab (Both Mack and Volvo promote Meritor drive axles on their on-highway models). So finally, it may be the differing cab design styles that influences your purchase decision.

Seeing the writing on the wall when Volvo acquired Mack, most Mack distributors aggressively pursued purchasing the Volvo franchises in their sales territories. As a result, after-sales support representation for either brand is roughly the same.

*Mack and Volvo New Vehicle Warranties

http://www.macktrucks.com/assets/mack/Service/US10OperatorManuals/PV776-21502481.pdf

https://www.volvotrucksemedia.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=10259&GroupId=542 (click on “View File”)

** The Mack-branded Twin-Y air suspension and Volvo-branded “Blade” air suspension are the same product, both produced by Hendrickson.

On 12-22 13 at 05:49 am Dirtymilkman posted under topic/33961-new mack- motors;Quote Actually the MP's are different from volvos.Besides the software,Mack runs a different type of egr and cooler.I thought maybe they had different cam profiles too.

Just curious if you are dealing with separate dealers or one that sells both. If it's the latter,which truck brand is the salesman pushing? A friend recently went to a dealer(formerly all Mack until the Volvo takeover and out of spite by me will remain nameless ) to purchase a new truck,he was looking for a CXU,MP8-505,M drive,condo for OTR use. His current truck was '10 Freightliner which he had more than his share of grief with. The salesman went out of his way to try and talk him into a Volvo instead of a Mack. He finally told him if you don't want to sell me a Mack I will go somewhere that will.

Just curious if you are dealing with separate dealers or one that sells both. If it's the latter,which truck brand is the salesman pushing? A friend recently went to a dealer(formerly all Mack until the Volvo takeover and out of spite by me will remain nameless ) to purchase a new truck,he was looking for a CXU,MP8-505,M drive,condo for OTR use. His current truck was '10 Freightliner which he had more than his share of grief with. The salesman went out of his way to try and talk him into a Volvo instead of a Mack. He finally told him if you don't want to sell me a Mack I will go somewhere that will.

One dealer sells both and will lease what ever we want.We are looking at leasing.Another dealer where I park my truck is part of a multi dealership owner and they only do Mack.Good point we should see what he is recomending and why.

On 12-22 13 at 05:49 am Dirtymilkman posted under topic/33961-new mack- motors;Quote Actually the MP's are different from volvos.Besides the software,Mack runs a different type of egr and cooler.I thought maybe they had different cam profiles too.

Sure, the software is naturally slightly different, because the Mack brand has their Maxidyne, Econodyne and Maxi-Cruise power profiles as opposed to Volvos. But the engines are the same.

You mentioned EGR coolers. They are the same, painted a different color. (For example, as shown on the Volvo and Mack EGR cooler replacement bulletins below for the D13/MP8. The exact same service bulletin, just a different brand name in the upper left corner).

http://www.volvotrucksemedia.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=7419&GroupId=-1 Click on "View File"

https://www.macktrucksemedia.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=7440&GroupId=-1 Click on "View File"

These engines run the exact same Volvo SCR system with a light to heavy EGR rate of 18% to 28%.

I guess that the dealer got more of a dealer hold back from Volvo on the end of the quarter if they sell more Volvo truck, or if it will be financed the dealer can get better financing rate for a Volvo and put some points on top the dealer will collect over the length of the loan. just my tough :whistling:

I guess that the dealer got more of a dealer hold back from Volvo on the end of the quarter if they sell more Volvo truck, or if it will be financed the dealer can get better financing rate for a Volvo and put some points on top the dealer will collect over the length of the loan. just my tough :whistling:

I talked to dealer and he will sell what ever I want.

Why would the salesmen try to talk the client in to a volvo?

A follow up to Superdog.He said a friend had a Mack/ Volvo dealer dealer pushing Volvo.I asked my dealer and he said he would get what I wanted.He's not pushing one way or other.

The MP10's and D16 have slight differences as well. EGR cooler mounting, color, valve cover, intakes are different. I'm sure there is more but those are the obvious like those Challenger has mentioned.

The only real difference between the Volvo D16 and Mack-badged MP10 is the color of the paint.

Again using EGR coolers as an example, you can see they are exactly the same (page 10). Hence, these Volvo and Mack service bulletins are exactly the same, just a different brand name in the upper left corner.

Volvo did change the color pictures of the green Volvo engine to black and white for the Mack-labeled bulletin (page 5), so that they wouldn't have to take a second set of photographs (Of course the superior Volvo brands rates color while Mack gets B&W).

http://www.volvotrucksemedia.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=9087&GroupId=-1 Click on "View File"

https://www.macktrucksemedia.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=9086&GroupId=-1 Click on "View File"