PICTURE of the week!

vision386

I've always liked those 39 & 40 Fords. Neighbor had one sitting in his backyard with weeds growing around it. I was 10 yr. my brother was 16 and he became friends with the owner. I recall it was painted white but when the guy restored it, he painted it black with red flathead.

mike

I'm usually pretty good with anything from the 1930's on up till the early seventies,anything newer then that I don't have a clue! Mrs.Vision says "how do you know all those damn old cars,they all look alike?" my answer is "No,all the NEW cars and trucks look alike to me"!...........................Mark

• Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Nice catch. I envy you folks that can tell the year and make of the early cars. I'm about 99.99% accurate with Detroit iron between the mid-50's and mid-70's but prior to that I haven't a clue.

Jim, my excuse for knowing many of the old cars and trucks was, I once had an older brother. He got me interested in building model cars. I remember my very first model that I built was the AMT model of the 1940 Ford Coupe. I recall the parts were mostly black except the few chrome parts. Funny thing happened just recently. I was looking for some silk flowers for my brother and fathers grave at a Hobby Lobby Store and I decided on looking for the models. I went into shock when I saw the prices of these models that once took me a couple of months to buy when I was a kid at $1.50 to $2.50. These models are now better than $25.00 bucks. I don't see how these kids can buy these LUXURIES.

mike

• Like 2

I hear ya' Mike! I have been collecting and building models since I was a kid,i have an AMT "double kit" from the sixties 1940 Ford/1932 Ford that still has the original price tag on it $1.49! I have seen it online for $4-500.00! I wish I had bought a truckload of them back then!......................Mark

I hear ya' Mike! I have been collecting and building models since I was a kid,i have an AMT "double kit" from the sixties 1940 Ford/1932 Ford that still has the original price tag on it $1.49! I have seen it online for $4-500.00! I wish I had bought a truckload of them back then!......................Mark

Hey Mark. I somehow have saved this model that I built in 1972. As you can see it has been molested by a kid many moons ago. I won 1st Place with it, at a Ben Franklin Variety Store. Also for the first time I beat out my brother and his best friend that they were some of the best model builders in the Nashville area during the 60's and 70's while they were teenagers. I was trying to resemble Gene Snows Vega back then. I'm surprised that I still have it. It has all but fell apart. I used pickup sticks for the frame and roll cage. I bent them with a flame from a candle. I used mercerized thread for my plug wires. I got a piece of my brothers scrapped, chrome, 3M paper that he used when he lettered a racecar. I cut it out for the inside panels around the engine and wheeelwells. We used to use toothpaste to polish the bodies of our models back then. Used sandpaper to make the slicks look like they had done a burnout.

I now don't know what to do with it. I have been all day throwing away many things here at the house. The model has somehow missed the trash can for many years.

Hope you enjoy

mike

post-900-0-20172000-1387947962_thumb.jpg

post-900-0-64685400-1387947987_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I am pretty good at knowing any car from the 50's thru 70's...Don't ask me why, but as a kid I used to study the Chilton auto repair manuals! Anyone that knows about the old ones (havent looked at one in forty years!) they always had the front end and grill of each model and model year! I could date a car with just subtle changes to the turn signals!

• Like 2

Whatever you do Mike,don't throw it away! that Camaro deserves a restoration,i've been going through some of mine and planning some restorations now that I have the skills and patience (just not the time) I recently re-did an old Hubley Metal Model-A station wagon that came out real nice,i also have a roadster and pickup that I built for my Grandfather in 72' or 73' ..........................................Mark

I am pretty good at knowing any car from the 50's thru 70's...Don't ask me why, but as a kid I used to study the Chilton auto repair manuals! Anyone that knows about the old ones (havent looked at one in forty years!) they always had the front end and grill of each model and model year! I could date a car with just subtle changes to the turn signals!

That's exactly where I learned most of what I know. My Dad worked as a driver and sometime service man and I would go to work with him to ride in the truck but would have to hang out in the shop afterwards. They had a Chilton's book that had covered (I believe) '61-'71 and had an actual photo of every American made front end for those years, it even broke it down by trim level, i.e. Ford Custom, Galaxie 500, LTD etc. I could spend hours thumbing through that book and never get bored.

Funny you mentioned turn signals. Those books were awesome for helping differentiate between the ones that only had front turn signal changes, such as the mid and full size '71-'72 Chevy's.

Jim

They were great books! I too remember reading them,i still have one somewhere in my empire! they were great for showing the changes of model years,one I have does not have photo type pictures but detailed drawings of all the different models by maker Ie; GM,Ford,Studebaker etc........................................Mark