Maxitorque T2180 Transmission

raindog

I've got a 94 Mack RD688 log truck that I purchased this spring. Since the weather got cold, the splitter selector won't work when it's cold. By won't work, I mean it won't put the transmission into underdrive when the splitter button is in the down position. All that happens is I hear air escaping out of what I presume is an air relief hose...

Once I've run a few miles (10 minutes or so) with the splitter in normal drive (over drive?) and I presume things are all warmed up, when I split a gear, I hear no sound of air escaping, and the transmission splits just fine. On a hunch, I pulled up the floor and put a space heater on what I presume to be a control valve unit on the top of the transmission (this has 2 small air lines coming from the splitter selector and 2 large air lines going to what I presume is the actual splitter unit on the rear of the transmission). After about an hour, it warmed up and splitter seemed to worked ok again.

My question is--does this sound like something as simple as water from the compressor system in the air line and freezing? or does this sound like something wrong with the control valve unit? I'm running air brake antifreeze in my air system...is there a way to ensure this antifreeze gets to the control valve unit to keep this from freezing up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

• 3 weeks later...

the problem is, after time, the compressors start pumping some oil throughout the air system, when this happens this sludge sits in lines valves and all and causes issues like this. drain air tanks and see if you have oil and water coming out or just water. when you warm your truck up it makes the sludge free up where it will actually let air pass by. if oil in air system i would suggest air compressor, and if water make sure you have your air dryer hooked up, they generally ran AD-9 part number 065225 bendix air dryers on them, you may need to replace.