The Most Interesting F.W.D. Driver in the World

1958 F.W.D.

This meme maker is GREAT!!!!!

FWDmirrormeme.jpg

Is that key hole in the bumper for the crank handle to start it?

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Is that key hole in the bumper for the crank handle to start it?

Lmao

Don't laugh- he is absolutely positively 100% correct!!!

Randy, in fact that leads me back to a conversation we had the night you saw the truck and I raised the hood and you asked about the dual ignition being in firetrucks. What I forgot to add however (and 84superdog's comment made me remember) was the fact that many firetrucks were also delivered with magnetos as well- in case if the mechanical ignition/distrbutor failed, you would switch to magneto and keep trucking. Or, for in the event that you could not start it due to dead batteries, switch to magneto and hand-crank it to start it.

This FWD however was not equipped with the magneto from the factory. No one from the company, including my father can remember if it came with a hand crank, either. But the flywheel does have the notched "clutch cut" for the hand crank. I would not want to hand crank this thing, let me tell you. My father DOES clearly remember having to hand-crank our 1948 Ward LaFrance pumper once or twice- says you had to do it just right or you could break your wrist or arm. It had the same identical 140GZ (F554G) Thunder Pumpkin under the hood.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Don't laugh- he is absolutely positively 100% correct!!!

Randy, in fact that leads me back to a conversation we had the night you saw the truck and I raised the hood and you asked about the dual ignition being in firetrucks. What I forgot to add however (and 84superdog's comment made me remember) was the fact that many firetrucks were also delivered with magnetos as well- in case if the mechanical ignition/distrbutor failed, you would switch to magneto and keep trucking. Or, for in the event that you could not start it due to dead batteries, switch to magneto and hand-crank it to start it.

This FWD however was not equipped with the magneto from the factory. No one from the company, including my father can remember if it came with a hand crank, either. But the flywheel does have the notched "clutch cut" for the hand crank. I would not want to hand crank this thing, let me tell you. My father DOES clearly remember having to hand-crank our 1948 Ward LaFrance pumper once or twice- says you had to do it just right or you could break your wrist or arm. It had the same identical 140GZ (F554G) Thunder Pumpkin under the hood.

interesting

Something of an art to crankstart a vehicle! my Grandfather told me many stories about having to crank his first truck (Mack AK-6) over by hand,had to get your timing just right,or the crank would "back-up" and break your arm!................................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

If I remember, maybe later today I will squeeze down under her and get a pic of the flywheel.

you meant balancer right?

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Unless the flywheel got put on the front and the balacer out back that is, be hard to hook up a tranny though.

I don't think ID be brave enough to hand crank a truck, I like my fingers.

My son's SO was flabbergasted that the 25 AB had a hand crank to serve as the back up starter. She had no concept of what a hand crank starter was. I was dumb enough to show it off to her with the truck in gear; I'm sure the pain will go away eventually.

When I was a youngster my Grandfather had an Allis-Chalmers B model that did not have a starter motor. He always told me when I could crank it he would teach me to drive it. I finally got enough ass to crank it when I was 8 years old. Some of my best memories are driving my buddies to the lake with them hanging off of the tow bar. So glad I was able to have the "feral child" experience so many kids don't get today.

• Like 2

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Were hand-cranked vehicles equipped with a compression release?

I don't know about all vehicles,but the Mack 6 cylinder was,a small door with a set-screw,Pop said you also had to set the spark ignition/timing and fuel before starting (much like a Model-T ford) on the steering wheel..............................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.