Granite S.O.S. Needed!

Ok Fellow Mack Drivers heres where i'm at! I live in Ohio and I'm in the Dump Trucking Business i've come up through the ranks Hauling what ever I could to survive in this game. I just established Credit and want to buy a New Granite 713 or 813 dump! My question is Pound for Pound what is the safest bet on a single truck! A Tri, Quad or 6 Axle? I dont have one solid company I work with because before I had order trucks and was limited! But now that i'm buying new should I start out with something big or small? I'm ready to work my butt off and i will be applying to asphalt companys, construction companys and be willing totravel the state of Ohio to keep the money rolling in. I just need RIGHT guidance in this time being that i'm stepping out here and i need to know what will be The best all around Truck to bank on! Many thanks lil Mack pup!

Having no commitment from anyone will be a tough nut to pay for brand new.

Also, what kind of work do you expect in winter. You still have the monthly loan, whether you move or not.

Me, I would look to a good tri-axle, get your name established with the locals.

If they are willing to put you on steady, then consider a new unit.

Having credit is good-maintaining good credit is tough.

Does Ohio Highway Dept., or whatever it is, contract plowing on the interstates and major roads?

See about a plow and you can run in the winter (as long as you get snow)

That is also a close knit group that works the highways

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

I wouldnt suggest new for this truck either but if your sold on it already, go look at what the other guys are using, look at what is most common, Im guessing in OH it will be a quad with about an 18 or 19' body. I doubt you want to go with the longer 6 axle truck, I know you will get more gross weight on the highway, however youll be limited in your work because of the length and ground clearance. I would go with a tri axle here in TN with a steel tub style body so you could haul anything anywhere but I have been told in OH you can get more work with a Quad in the past, I know you can gross more on bridge law for sure, just remember if you are going to be "wildcatting" or looking for whatever comes available you need a truck that will be very versatile. You may want to look into a quad with a steel tub "AR" body so you can haul anything and still get the gross up on the bridge law roads, a tub body made with 5/16 AR450 steel will stand up to shot rock and broken up concrete one day and still be smooth enough to go haul sand and asphalt the next day.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

For wildcatting with no work lined up and "willing to travel the state of Ohio to keep the money rolling in" and starting my trucking company in the winter.. I would go with a glider kit. Get a nice quad with polished aluminum bed and polished wheels..all michelin tires. Biggest motor they have and get a good custom paint job. Get it set up the way you want...have the nicest truck around.. so that when you roll up looking for work..they all walk around your truck admiring it and asking questions.. that will lead into them wanting to hire you on the spot for asphalt, gravel..or whatever will fall out of the bed.

Tinted windows help in the winter also..that white snow is blinding. get a 25% tint before you roll in looking for work so that you dont have to take a day off to get it done.

I agree with krismoriah on you need your truck to be different and stand out that way you get reckonized and remembered. I do think that for freelancing your best off with a steel bed (although theres nothing like a polished alu body or the old ravens swirl pattern) to haul sand and blacktop one day and riprap the next. Id say tri or quad would be the way to go, quint axle is going to be too long a truck to not have a deadicated account where your running all highway miles

what is it with all these guys saying not to buy macks on a mack fan website ? buy a new granite there a great dump truck go with the mp 8 505 hp 18 spd mack or fuller and meritor full lockers on air ride or hendrickson haulmax. buy a mack

what is it with all these guys saying not to buy macks on a mack fan website ? buy a new granite there a great dump truck go with the mp 8 505 hp 18 spd mack or fuller and meritor full lockers on air ride or hendrickson haulmax. buy a mack

Yeah if you could afford new it would be a Mack, I would change some of your specs there to make it more profitable and pedigreed. ID go with the MP7 and a Mack 18 spd or 310m, then ID have to have Mack rears and Camelback suspension. This way you get a gold dog on the hood and you drop some weight to keep your payload up. If you really want to talk payload ID do a granite Set forward quad with am MP7, Eaton 18spd and Mack 44000 rears on Camelback, add an 18' aluminum body and two steer tags with low pro 22.5's and you'll be around 25000 for a light weight and you can bridge 65000 or so that's a 20tn payload legal.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

What would the monthly payment be on a 2014 Mack? This one http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=4513355 is $192,000 if no interest for 60 months that would be $3200 a month. This guy says he got financing..so gotta factor in interest.

If he can feed a family and make house payments etc with that payment...i need to move to ohio.

I just dont see how people can make a living with these new trucks..

Payment+insurance+tags+fuel+maintenance+workers comp+taxes... how is it possible to make a profit?

I can see if someone has guaranteed day and night work for multi years...but seasonal work? no contracts? What would the lender need for such a finance? a title to a house?

Just curious..to see someone elses business model.

• Like 1

I talked to a dealer about a new truck, it was $168,000,on 72 mos. It was over $2600/ mo I couldn't do it. I paid $1826/ mo for my 04 Granite and thought it was ridiculous in 2006.

• Like 1

What would the monthly payment be on a 2014 Mack? This one http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=4513355 is $192,000 if no interest for 60 months that would be $3200 a month. This guy says he got financing..so gotta factor in interest.

If he can feed a family and make house payments etc with that payment...i need to move to ohio.

Payment+insurance+tags+fuel+maintenance+workers comp+taxes... how is it possible to make a profit?

I can see if someone has guaranteed day and night work for multi years...but seasonal work? no contracts? What would the lender need for such a finance? a title to a house?

I talked to a dealer about a new truck, it was $168,000,on 72 mos. It was over $2600/ mo I couldn't do it. I paid $1826/ mo for my 04 Granite and thought it was ridiculous in 2006.

That's why we run older stuff. Just cant pay a decent wage, supply benefits, have new trucks and make money at the same time.

Talked to a Mack dealer today, I can get a new MP7 automatic tri axle with a 16' rogers elliptical AR body for $152,000, still too much but a whole lot cheaper than $192000 thats just ridiculous.

Yep

No sales tax though, use them ICC numbers

thats a pretty std truck, mid level interior, front aluminum, steel rear wheels, aluminum tanks, single exhaust, not a Rawhide but not a plain jane work truck either, he told me an MP8 Rawhide Granite tri axle would be around $178,000.

Thanks for the advice! Let me give you guys a little more info so that I can be rightly guided! I have $20K saved and put aside for so that if things are kind of slow I have a cushion for payments! I have another $20k set aside that I can put as a down payment if needed! I own my House its free and clear. I hace a wife and two children! I have 1 dump truck its a Tri-axel freightliner 84! Right now i'm the only driver! I run right now in and out of the landfield dropping slag (LMF) from the steelmill! I ususalluy averege at least 30K a year from this job alone! The thing is that stuff is nasty!!!! Its hard on trucks to go in and out of there! I would never want to put a new truck in there! The reason I dont think I get the burn I could from KOKOsing or Shelly and sand is because of my older Truck! How I see it with the older trucks I had and Bad drivers I was spending $15 to $20K a year in Maintance! Thats why I down sized sold most of my older trucks and put my Hide back into the drivers seat! I just think with a new truck thats covered from bumper to bumper for a year, me driving it, and plus having the little cushion in the bank that I can Make it out here! I'm ready to out work anyone in my area and I KNOW that will take me having a dependable piece of Equipment! Thats why i'm on year talking to you guys who have had years in this business! I KNOW ONLY A MACK TRUCKER CAN STEER ME RIGHT ON THIS ONE! I was thinking about a used one! But then I would have to worry about break downs again! I feel If I can get that 1 year of no worries and work I can make it! What do you huys think?

thats a pretty std truck, mid level interior, front aluminum, steel rear wheels, aluminum tanks, single exhaust, not a Rawhide but not a plain jane work truck either, he told me an MP8 Rawhide Granite tri axle would be around $178,000.

Thanks for the advice! Let me give you guys a little more info so that I can be rightly guided! I have $20K saved and put aside for so that if things are kind of slow I have a cushion for payments! I have another $20k set aside that I can put as a down payment if needed! I own my House its free and clear. I hace a wife and two children! I have 1 dump truck its a Tri-axel freightliner 84! Right now i'm the only driver! I run right now in and out of the landfield dropping slag (LMF) from the steelmill! I ususalluy averege at least 30K a year from this job alone! The thing is that stuff is nasty!!!! Its hard on trucks to go in and out of there! I would never want to put a new truck in there! The reason I dont think I get the burn I could from KOKOsing or Shelly and sand is because of my older Truck! How I see it with the older trucks I had and Bad drivers I was spending $15 to $20K a year in Maintance! Thats why I down sized sold most of my older trucks and put my Hide back into the drivers seat! I just think with a new truck thats covered from bumper to bumper for a year, me driving it, and plus having the little cushion in the bank that I can Make it out here! I'm ready to out work anyone in my area and I KNOW that will take me having a dependable piece of Equipment! Thats why i'm on year talking to you guys who have had years in this business! I KNOW ONLY A MACK TRUCKER CAN STEER ME RIGHT ON THIS ONE! I was thinking about a used one! But then I would have to worry about break downs again! I feel If I can get that 1 year of no worries and work I can make it! What do you huys think?

thats a good deal pretty cheap

That's why we run older stuff. Just cant pay a decent wage, supply benefits, have new trucks and make money at the same time.

30K a year gross or net on that slag job? If its gross then to put a driver in that truck..will cost you $26000 in labor. 2000hrs @ $13/hr. not counting fuel. If its net..then you will lose money putting a driver in that truck..and u driving the new truck.

1 yr no worries trucking? Post here 1 yr later and let us know.

No breakdowns? Every truck owners prayer..mostly unanswered.

If u want my honest opinion.. Shop for a hell of a deal on a truck u like. Buy it. Put 110 to 130% in working it every day or night possible. After 12 months look at the bottom line. Payment/maintenance/fuel/insurance/taxes/ vs gross income... If you have money in your hand that you feel was worthwhile for the years worth of work..then by all means do it again the next yr.

I work alongside trucks that range from the 1980s to the 2014s the older trucks need more TLC than the newer ones, but the newer ones take alot of profit to keep those payments paid.

Do the best you can with what you can afford and give it your all.