Wiring for a pup

I've got the hole burnt in the pintle plate and am working on the wiring. Everything is color coded but I don't know what the colors are for. So far I have some figured out but there are some that I have questions about. Can somebody tell me if these are correct?

Red = brake lights

White = ground

Blue = ABS (my pup is equiped but the Mack is not - does this matter?)

Brown = tail or clearance (which one?)

Black = marker or clearance or tail ???

Green = Right T/S

Yellow = Left T/S

I'm not sure on the tail, marker and clearance lights.

Do I have the T/S correct??

Ok if your building the pup then no the abs wont give you any problems if you hook it up. The trailers that come factory with it and it stops working of the tractor doesnt have abs will set off the indicator light on the rear corner and it burns constant. Most around here unplug the light so it doesnt raise eyebrows

Ok if your building the pup then no the abs wont give you any problems if you hook it up. The trailers that come factory with it and it stops working of the tractor doesnt have abs will set off the indicator light on the rear corner and it burns constant. Most around here unplug the light so it doesnt raise eyebrows

My MH does not have ABS but the trailer does. The amber light does not illuminate.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Turns out Mack wired this truck - BASIC. The T/S and brake share the same wire. I can't split them for the pup, so the pup has to be wired the same way. Not that I need a separate light for the T/S, and a separate light for the brake, but it would be nice to have that option.

The drop deck that I pull w/ the Western Star uses the outside (of 3) lights for the T/S and the inside 2 for the brake. If I ever pull the drop deck with the Mack all 3 will be T/S and all 3 will be brake.

I think the ABS just needs a constant 12V to the pup/trailer. I remember when I had a spread axle I could drop the air in the rear axle and strap it up (if I was light). When I did this the ABS light would come on because one axle was spinning and the other axle was not. I didn't do this too often as it goofed with the ABS.

Edited by Brandt

One wire for turn/brakes was the way it was done before electronics and several separate bulbs for turn, brakes, markers were required. Kind of a fail safe since the turn signal will not blink if the brake light bulb burns out.

If you look on the trailer plug it should have the standard color code cast into it. If not, there should be a schematic in the box. Even if your rig is wired differently you should convert it to the standard scheme so the tractor can be hooked to any trailer.

Here are a couple of sites that lay it out: http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx http://www.pjtrailers.com/plugs.cfm

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!