best construction truck pros and cons

Are we talking new or used? New you look for the best dealer support and location. And find a guy that actually knows how to spec a truck for your application. Its not as easy as slapping axles and a box on a truck off the lot.

If you're talking used, there's a ton of variables there. Maintenance records, age, miles and so on. Every company made good things and every company had their turds. Saying one brand is better than the other is like arguing ford vs. Chevy. Everything has good and bad points. Personally for used I'd look for a Mack CL713. 2001 or older. Motor and tranny and rears all depend on application. That's where u need a actual knowledgeable salesperson and not a guy just wanting to sell a truck.

I didnt know those other companies built construction trucks, I thought there was just Mack! Used to be anyway, I have heard of good and bad with all of the above, Ive run Mack, KW, Pete and Freightliner Dumps and Mack had the best Chassis and suspension in my book, the frame rails were awful flimsy on the KW and Pete, you could watch the ends of the frame flex when spreading rock and the Mack was solid, the Freightliner just fell apart as a dump truck, the dash, cab, hood, it just went all to hell.

• Like 2

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I ordered a new Western Star late 2004 it is a 2005 model. It has Detroit 515 Series 60 engine, 16908LL trans,46,000 4.56 Rockwell Rears full lockers steerable lift axle 18' hi-tensile dump body. I have 307,000 miles on it and about 15,000 hours on engine with hardly any problems which is good for me as dealer support is about non existant for Western Star in my area. Sales and parts are good but you cannot get near shop without about 5 day wait. I was in shop only once or twice and work completed was good, but with all the Freightliner's sold to fleets it is hard to get service. I do my own maintaince but cannot do any computer diaganosis.Overall I am well pleased with the truck. If I was to buy a new one I would do what Bullhusk does and get a powered glider.I am near retirement so my dispatch is about over but I feel for all the younger guys with all the new equipment and rules. Sorry for the long post. Joe D.

I ordered a new Western Star late 2004 it is a 2005 model. It has Detroit 515 Series 60 engine, 16908LL trans,46,000 4.56 Rockwell Rears full lockers steerable lift axle 18' hi-tensile dump body. I have 307,000 miles on it and about 15,000 hours on engine with hardly any problems which is good for me as dealer support is about non existant for Western Star in my area. Sales and parts are good but you cannot get near shop without about 5 day wait. I was in shop only once or twice and work completed was good, but with all the Freightliner's sold to fleets it is hard to get service. I do my own maintaince but cannot do any computer diaganosis.Overall I am well pleased with the truck. If I was to buy a new one I would do what Bullhusk does and get a powered glider.I am near retirement so my dispatch is about over but I feel for all the younger guys with all the new equipment and rules. Sorry for the long post. Joe D.

I'm commin up to the big 60 next June Joe so I'm catchin up to ya!

I was just talkin to Shelia Horwith last week and she told me they are getting some new tri axel dumps for there fleet so they will be selling there Coronados with the Allison Auto's and 470 Detroits! If anyone is lookin for a good used dealer serviced tri axel, these are nice trucks! There's nothin in this for me so don't think I'm tryin to sell some trucks on the side here! LOL I have bought some of there used stuff and so far have had good luck with em!

BULLHUSK

PS Joe I don't play with the computer stuff, I just send it to the dealer cause by the time ya buy the software, the stuff is outdated before ya take it outta the freakin box!!

• Like 1