Almost sorry I asked a question!

Anyway, I finally remembered something about that truck I was talking about.  The PTO did actually attach to the compound case, not to the main case.  I found a picture of one that reminded me of that.  That would explain why the main had to be in gear for it to turn, and why changing gears in the main box changed the speed of the PTO.

Of course, since I was just a young 'un, I HAD to try putting the main in neutral just to see if the note on the shifter plate was correct.  It was.  With front box in neutral, regardless of compound gear, the PTO did not run.

From looking at pictures of these old boxes, I see there were some that DID attach to the front box, which would mean the front box could be left in neutral and the PTO would still be live, just like TJC said.  That matches what the guys were saying about the countershafts in the front box driving the PTO.

So, I guess this is a case of everybody being right, for the trans they were using.  Apparently, there were indeed different setups on the PTO.  Not sure if this is an "old" vs, "new" trans thing, or just a variation in how they could be set up.  Or if it varied from model to model.  Don't know.  But, as usual, I learned something.  Always do when this bunch is involved.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

The one major difference I saw was, comparing a twin stick 107 trans, to a 200 series trans, which is air shift in the aux. Box. The twin stick offers several PTO positions and speeds..  Way better than the 200 series options..  

10 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

The one major difference I saw was, comparing a twin stick 107 trans, to a 200 series trans, which is air shift in the aux. Box. The twin stick offers several PTO positions and speeds..  Way better than the 200 series options..  

That is what I thought was so cool about the one I was using.  The multiple PTO speeds.

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

• 2 months later...

Getting to learn a 107 series rear mount pto at the moment.  With the aux box in N, the pto still spins with the main box in N, OR in gear.   Is that normal?   And just to clarify what most probably view as obvious, is the pto supposed to spin faster/higher rpm when the main box is engaged in a higher gear?  Is there a downside or anything to watch for if the main box is in a higher gear like 3rd or 4th?  So far i've only been experimenting with 1st and 2nd but wanted to be sure its ok to choose a higher ratio