R Plus Cab Questions

I am sure this info is somewhere on this site but too lazy to search....

First year for the R Plus cab?

Is there a noticeable difference in leg room in the Plus cab?

First year for the "plastic" dash in a R?

Is the Plus cab a "direct" bolt up on an earlier R (mounts, steering, electrical, air, etc.)?

Other improvements in the Plus cab versus earlier cab?

Thanks for the info!

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

hmm lets see....

1-dunno

2-yep

3-dunno

4-dunno

5-other than the extra room, um......it has a kinda curved back wall? maybe? not really anything else I can think of.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

oh wait yeah theres one more thing, it has longer grab handles!

• Like 2

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

73 or so give or take a few months was the first year for the plastic dash. yes little more leg room because the seat goes back a little farther, BUT not far enough haha. and direct bolt up? not so much. need to change the front frame mounts, depends on steering and depends how the fuel tank/rear cab square tube is. I put a newer telescoping steering wheel and swing down clutch pedal with cable clutch in my 66 R model. was a pretty direct bolt up. holes were all there.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the information. I thought the plus cab started around 1973 but was unsure of other specifics. So if I want a R, I should be looking for a 1973 or newer? To recab a "rusty" pre-73 would require an early cab? I am not into repairing sheet metal.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

its possible to recab an older R with the newer style cab but you need the front cab mount brackets for the frame as the older cabs has the biscuit mounts like a B model and the newer ones had the saddle type mounts like a Superdog. also might have to change the rear cab/frame mount depending on what fuel tank set you you have. out r model at work has the square tanks mounted like a B model. most R models were under slung tanks that hung off the square tube that went across for the cab mount.

• Like 1

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

the galvanized cab was a Macungie thing in the early trucks, my 84 was a Hayward truck and had no galvanizing, they tend to rust quicker for sure.

our 84 R has a galvanized perfect rust free cab. That's the main reason we bought it.

Nice, I have been trying to pay attention since my 84 and most of the Hayward trucks that came east seem to be worse than the Macungie trucks.