Front spindle issue

Trenton

Hi folks,

I have a front spindle that has noticeable wear where the outer bearing sits. The wear is on the underside underside of the spindle. The wear ring is also less than perfect.

Is there a repair method for the spindle?

Is it acceptable to repair it or is replacing it a must (its a hobby truck)?

What is the cause for this type of wear on the spindle and the ring?

post-3332-137341667242_thumb.jpg

post-3332-137341670356_thumb.jpg

Appreciate your input.

Trenton

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The wear ring is replaceable just make sure you get the right one for the type of seal. For a hobby truck I would just put a new seal ring and new bearings in it, Years ago we had a knurler you could use on spindles, I would pack the bearing in semi fluid synthetic grease like a lot of the new trailers use to make sure seal don't leak for a hobby truck and see what happens, not sure but I have seen bearings that were extremely tight and would cause the inside of the bearing spin on the spindle and cause wear like that.

Hi folks,

I have a front spindle that has noticeable wear where the outer bearing sits. The wear is on the underside underside of the spindle. The wear ring is also less than perfect.

Is there a repair method for the spindle?

Is it acceptable to repair it or is replacing it a must (its a hobby truck)?

What is the cause for this type of wear on the spindle and the ring?

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1373416682.186134.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1373416714.206963.jpg

Appreciate your input.

Trenton

there is an approved repair, but it has to be done by a shop that is set up.... first they will magnaflux, then grind the worn area down and build up with chrome... however, there is a max limit for the chrome. Looking at the photos it looks like bearing may have been loose and spinning, or constantly overloaded... there seems to be a ridge too... not the worst I've seen but it needs fixing... how did the bearings look coming off?. The seal sleeve is a simple job, part requires warming to install, usually inductive heat.

we do similar repair to MAN and Rockwell spindles at work, most are repairable at below the cost of new... but for a hobby truck you may want to consider used parts if the shop quotes you high.

BC Mack

To All,

The bearings and cones look good with the exception of some galling on the inner bearings where it meets the wear ring. I found a set of wear rings and will get them installed tomorrow. I suspect that the groove on the bottom of the spindle is not as bad as I originally thought. I think there is a bur there that is making it look and feel more significant than it it is. I will file the bur off and assess the issue with a clear head.

So what is the cause for this kind of wear-- bearing too loose or too tight?

Trenton

Thank you for the information.

BC Mack,

It is a b model and it might be difficult to find a good replacement. If I need to replace the spindle and can't locate one I will look for a place that can chrome it for me.

Thanks for the information.

Trenton