AC Mack in Smithsonian Museum

Superdog

Is there no longer an AC Mack on display in Washington,DC??? My daughter was there yesterday as part of a school trip and I told her the only thing I wanted her to get me was a pic of her standing beside the AC.She searched the entire day they were there and asked at the info booth and nobody knew what she was talking about.

I suppose Obama pawned it!!!!!!

Where is it supposed to be? I will probably be doing some touring there in a couple of weeks.

It was in the Museum of History and Technology section along with a teens Simplex truck a Superior Bus a Model AA and some other trucks in 2006, it may now be in the Smithsonian American History Museum in the" America on the Move Exhibit". Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I have heard that they have started removing all the agriculture displays from the smithsonian. There is a wallis tractor that we have been trying to get information about for quite some time but nobody will respond. I wouldn't be surprised if the AC is moth-balled away in some corner somewhere and not out on display either.

It makes me very sad to know that one of the greatest musuems does not care about the preservation of our agricultural and trucking history.

it was donated for permanent display in 1963.

I remember the story in a BULLDOG magazine from years back,Mike.There is supposed to be a Freightshaker there too,that was the 1st one sold outside of CF.

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Just picked Lilly up from her trip and was looking thru her pics,no AC Mack as I already knew,but what was there in the Smithsonsian for the whole world to see???????????????? A GD Werner Enterprises Peterbilt!!!!! No wonder this country is so screwed up.

I remember seeing it when I was a kid,buts that's a long time ago! IIRC,it was from Jersey? only two heavy trucks I remember were the AC and one of the first White Freightliner C.O.E's they also had one of Evel Knievels bikes,and one of "Big Daddy" Don Garlits's top fuel rails...........................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I'm not sure but I think that AC Mack was Otilleo and son's Mack from Paterson NJ, I am sure the truck was from Jersey. I was in his yard a couple a years back and he still had his DM 800 Black Beauty Cummins powered Mack in his garage. He had a lot of DM 800's with V-8's back in the day pullin large demo trailers

BULLHUSK

• Like 2

I'm not sure but I think that AC Mack was Otilleo and son's Mack from Paterson NJ, I am sure the truck was from Jersey. I was in his yard a couple a years back and he still had his DM 800 Black Beauty Cummins powered Mack in his garage. He had a lot of DM 800's with V-8's back in the day pullin large demo trailers

BULLHUSK

Thanks for the info Ernie! I knew it was from Jersey,just couldn't remember where!.....................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

My dad had a picture of a Mack like that one that he drove before he went into the army. He used to pick up at I think it was Freeport Brass on LI NY and bring ingots to the Blk. Navy yard, then when you were done with that you got a load of sugar bags in NY and brought them back to Jersey! NO forklifts back then 100 lb bags and heavy brass and a sore ass!! ... Did I just make a funny??

BULLHUSK

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

You are correct. That Mack did belong to V. Ottilio & Sons. I am actually the grandson of Vito, which is Victor Ottilios son. Unfortunately he died long before I got here but the stories I heard where amazing and growing up running around the yard with all the trucks and cranes was something I'll never forget. The last I heard it was being stored in a warehouse, it's a shame.