Locking rear axle/differential lock

I have a 99 RD 690S and the truck gets stuck all the time in conditions that I don't think are all that tough. I have a power divider that is air actuated and has a blue light. Is there a Mack axle locking system that would go in my Mack rear end housing? I want something that I could flip a button in the cab and have both axles turn like a spool or something close to that. I am ready to spend some money to get this done as I frequently work alone and getting stuck is very frustrating when there is no dozer nearby to pull me out. The rears are 44s. Thanks for your help.

HATE to knock mack, but our 88 rd 688s is always getting stuck on the farms (with mack axles, not sure the rating, but regardless), my 2011 with meritor drives and full lockers has only once needed a push (out of a pit). had lockers on my first jeep and as long as one wheel had grip, I could fight my way out.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if you guys are trying to use a truck as a amphibious vehicle or what but I ran R model dumps for a long time and probably only got stuck two or three times I can remember. I always turned on the power divider before I started into the slick stuff. My rule of thumb was if I wouldn't walk thru it, I wouldn't drive thru it it served me well over the years. Remember its an on road truck not a dozer if your pushing mud your doing something wrong.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I have a 99 RD 690S and the truck gets stuck all the time in conditions that I don't think are all that tough. I have a power divider that is air actuated and has a blue light. Is there a Mack axle locking system that would go in my Mack rear end housing? I want something that I could flip a button in the cab and have both axles turn like a spool or something close to that. I am ready to spend some money to get this done as I frequently work alone and getting stuck is very frustrating when there is no dozer nearby to pull me out. The rears are 44s. Thanks for your help.

44 rears of course came standard with an automatic inter-axle power divider. An air-actuated inter-axle power divider "lockout" was a factory option.

In addition, an "inter-wheel" power divider was also available. With this option, rather than the front/rear carriers being CRDPC92/CRD93, they'd be CRD921/CRD931.

So with the combination of the two options, your rear bogie would be driving at all four corners for enhanced off-highway mobility.

• Like 1

Not trying to use it as an amphibious vehicle, but demolition and construction mean I gotta get in and out of some crazy spot, full lockers are the way to go. Most every vocational truck in my area has at least front rear lockers, and more often than not...full lockers.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

It all depends on what you get the contractors used to really, we wouldnt go where we knew a truck would get stuck or possibly get damaged so the contractors got used to taking care of the haul roads on the jobsites. Hauling shot rock and demolition debris is the roughest places we had to go and we got them trained pretty well a couple days into the jobs after we told em we couldnt back up to the piles until they got it straight so we didnt cut a tire or get stuck.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

that was a problem mack had as most mack rears only have the power divider and since the early 90s meritor/rockwell and eaton had full lockers in most vocational applications.

As I mentioned above, "full lockers" as you call it was an available factory option from Mack Trucks. But it's up to the customer and/or salesman to spec it. Most Mack vocational customers never needed more than the air lock-out power divider, but the inter-wheel power divider option was also available.

• 6 years later...
On 6/22/2013 at 11:15 AM, kscarbel said:

As I mentioned above, "full lockers" as you call it was an available factory option from Mack Trucks. But it's up to the customer and/or salesman to spec it. Most Mack vocational customers never needed more than the air lock-out power divider, but the inter-wheel power divider option was also available.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I'd love more info on full lockers.  My `95 rd688s is terrible in slick mud. It has the inter axle lock, but not an interwheel lock.  What would I have to do add interwheel locks?  Can I just swap pumpkins? Is the interwheel lock air operated? I have 44k camelback. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...