No bear hunting for me this week...

RowdyRebel

I hate to see that your broke down, but then I gotta say it........LUCKY ASS.......hope u get back to going soon buddy

This message was brought to you by Hargraves Potted Meat Product. Chopped full of "Peckers & Lips" since 1933 - John Boy & Billy

Yeah, it was pretty lucky. Something let loose in the front drive axle about 3 miles south of the get-off to the company yard. Managed to limp it in @ 5 mph with the power divider locked in to get it off the side of the big road and drop the trailer...then got to wait there at the yard for Mack to open (not paying for after-hours service when it'd only be a couple hours until they'd be in) and gave 'em a call to come get me. Had the truck prepped & ready to go by the time they got there....front axle chained up, steering wheel tied, exhaust stacks taped....their wrecker driver LOVES towing me because all of the dirty work is done by the time he gets there, so all he's got to do is pick me up, secure the truck to his, and roll.

Anyway, that all happened yesterday. I'm fixin' to head in there in a little bit to see what exactly happened. If the carrier is shot, I'm debating if I should upgrade....been thinking about a gearing change or some other possibilities such as full lockers instead of just having the power divider locking in when I flip that switch. With the Mack rears, I seldom have a need to flip that switch to lock in....but when I need extra traction, full lockers would definitely help. When you're pulling a trailer, applying brake pressure to help get all of the wheels moving means you're pulling against the trailer brakes....just be better to have the full lockers. Cost is going to be a huge factor in the decision, though, because money is kinda tight. Seems like just when I get my head above water again, I get kicked in the teeth.

Oh well....shit happens. At least the truck picked a good few days to be out of commission. :ninja:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I wouldn't have it any other way. It is embarrassing enough just being on a hook....don't think I could handle the shame of being dragged in by anything other than another Mack.

That "simple" wrecker (without all of the side boxes, bells, & whistles) hooked to the rear of my stretched-out daycab really makes for an interesting pic, though......veeeeeeeery long looking combination.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Nice that it was only the peanuts. Will give you a chance to save some money for lockers.

Sadly, the tow and repair will not be peanuts.

Maybe some discount for you doing the hard part?

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

The tow won't be too bad....'bout $100/hour. Truck went into the shop sometime this morning...got the call around noon it was done. I'm not expecting it to be TOO bad, depending upon the price of the parts.

False alarm. The mechanic called me when he THOUGHT he was done...still needed to test drive, though. So, I took him at his word...but waited about an hour. When no phone call came saying "it's still broke", I figured the test drive went well....so I called dispatch to say "put something on me that I can load & take home tonight" and then headed up to get the truck.

I show up and it is still in the bay.....axle shafts pulled....front carrier in the process of disassembly for removal. Turns out it wasn't JUST the cam & peanuts. Unfortunately their computers were down, so they couldn't give me any price quotes....want to find out how expensive my various options would be.

1) For them to fix what is broke in the existing carrier.

2) To order up a rebuilders series carrier w/ 1 year warranty...keep my 4.17 gears.

3) To order up a ReMack carrier w/ 2 year warranty...keep my 4.17 gears.

4) To order up rebuilders series front & rear carriers w/ 1 year warranties with 4.42 gears.

5) To order up rebuilders series front & rear carriers w/ 1 year warranties and full lockers with 4.42 gears.

6) To order up ReMack carriers front & rear w/ 2 year warranties and 4.42 gears.

7) To order up ReMack carriers front & rear w/ 2 year warranties, full lockers, and 4.42 gears.

The option I choose is extremely cost dependent....while I'd LOVE to be able to choose option #7, I very well might end up having to go with #1 and just being patient and waiting until I'm a little more caught up financially before doing the upgrade I've been wanting to do for a while. Bottom line, I've just got to weigh the value of having a warranty vs. the cost, and just how much I want the gear swap and lockers vs. the cost.

I am not going to say a word. Been lucky to either limp home 1200 miles or get it done on the road. just a dumb question. I know here at Greentree if we need some help they will help to a certain point. Would your company loan you the extra needed to do what you want and then they can deduct 100,200,300,5% whatever either every week or so much per load. I have them do 10% every load when I needed help. but the Beast has been self sustaining for the most part lately and only needed dads help for 2 more tires I didn't have in the cards till after the load was done. 1 allen wrench later and that got me the 2 that day not later that week.

I hate borrowing money, and I don't need the carrier's hand in my pocket any more than absolutely necessary. I finally broke down and got fuel cards from them a couple months ago, but didn't use them until a couple weeks ago when they switched me back to tanks (costs me $100/day more in fuel) at the same time they paid me for a short week (3 full days and a partial)....needless to say, I wouldn't have run past Tuesday if not for the fuel cards. They "save" me $0.03/gallon, but cost $0.50/use....so on my typical fill-up, it saves me about $1.45 but comes at the expense of a time stamp on the transaction. So, I try to avoid using them if I can....but if I need every penny I've got in the bank to get something done, I can run on the fuel cards to keep money coming in. That is all the "help" I am willing to accept from the company though. The company is also looking into the breakdown policy I've got through them on the insurance.....$750 deductible, and it covers towing & downtime. If it is worth making a claim, I'm going to do it....but if I won't see much past the deductible, I won't bother. It has a "vanishing deductible"...so if I don't use it this year, next year the deductible will be less. Last year it would have been more.

Bottom line, I'm not too worried about it. It won't be the end of the world if I have to postpone the upgrades for another couple years....I've driven it 5+ years with it set up the way it is, it would just be nice if I could modify it like I want it to be.

oh trust me I hate borrowing money from them or anybody. when the trans went I had to get 6500 from them sucked is what it did. Then when I broke the crank I had 10k got most from my mom and had to get 5500 from the company. Or park the Pete and was looking at a Cl which this would of been back on the road and working but now I would of had 2 trucks and hopefully another driver. Or more grey hair and higher bp.

False alarm. The mechanic called me when he THOUGHT he was done...still needed to test drive, though. So, I took him at his word...but waited about an hour. When no phone call came saying "it's still broke", I figured the test drive went well....so I called dispatch to say "put something on me that I can load & take home tonight" and then headed up to get the truck.

I show up and it is still in the bay.....axle shafts pulled....front carrier in the process of disassembly for removal. Turns out it wasn't JUST the cam & peanuts. Unfortunately their computers were down, so they couldn't give me any price quotes....want to find out how expensive my various options would be.

1) For them to fix what is broke in the existing carrier.

2) To order up a rebuilders series carrier w/ 1 year warranty...keep my 4.17 gears.

3) To order up a ReMack carrier w/ 2 year warranty...keep my 4.17 gears.

4) To order up rebuilders series front & rear carriers w/ 1 year warranties with 4.42 gears.

5) To order up rebuilders series front & rear carriers w/ 1 year warranties and full lockers with 4.42 gears.

6) To order up ReMack carriers front & rear w/ 2 year warranties and 4.42 gears.

7) To order up ReMack carriers front & rear w/ 2 year warranties, full lockers, and 4.42 gears.

The option I choose is extremely cost dependent....while I'd LOVE to be able to choose option #7, I very well might end up having to go with #1 and just being patient and waiting until I'm a little more caught up financially before doing the upgrade I've been wanting to do for a while. Bottom line, I've just got to weigh the value of having a warranty vs. the cost, and just how much I want the gear swap and lockers vs. the cost.

Does mack side to side locker? Terry

Yup....you can get full lockers. According to this, there is the standard inter-axle power divider...then there is an optional "inter-wheel" power divider....and then an optional "lockout". Not sure what the lockout option is though...perhaps that's the air-lock switch on the dash instead of the automatic inter-axle power divider that would be standard.

Well...just got the call. Going to replace with what is in there for now....part alone is dang near $3000. To make the swaps I would like to do would be considerably more than I have available at this time...so perhaps in another couple years I'll tear it up again when I'm in a better financial situation. Gotta come from Jacksonville, though, so I'll be off at least tomorrow if not through the end of the week.

Might take a ride down to the court house and talk with them about getting out of jury duty....after missing this week, I'll need to get back to work and can't afford to sit on a jury. Got bills to pay.