Looking to buy a 02-04 MACK GRANITE CV713 DUMP TRUCK will 300 hp be enough?

Yes i'm looking at 2 buy a Mack Granite CV713 from 02-04 (my price range) Tri Axel. Wanted to know with the E7 will 300 be enough power! And wanted to know Has anyone drove an automatic with the Allison in her? Is that something to stay away from or is it ok? Also with the E7 around when do they start running you into to problems as far as Miles?

300 in a tri axle is gonna be tough. Usually 400 and up if you want to get something done in the course of a day. An Allison also unless you live in Florida where it is flat she is going to be slow going. Just my opinion.

Cheers, Rob

yeah a 300 in this day and age is not going to cut it. the e7 engines are great . tough reliable engines . you might want to look into turning it up to 370 or 400 hp. but if you live in florida a 300 might be ok

depends on how fast you want to go. A 300 is more than enough if it's geared right and has the right trans. But they're harder to find now a days, most order them with big hammers.

A 300 with 4.65 rears and a 8LL O/D will get you down the road at around 65mph and climb hills pretty well, better if it was a 13spd.

I wouldn't waste my time on anything less than a 427 with a 13 or 18 spd but I guess the 10 speed is ok all mack of course. Trust me when I tell you I drive a e7 350 with a 8ll and I want to hang myself half the day. The rt 2 hill in Belmont kills me, the other day the paper boy passed me, crawwwwwling. Do yourself a favor and get some hp makes for an easier day.

This day and age when you get to a job and it's by the load and your boss says you gotta do 7 in 8 hours and you know it really is a 5 load day getting up and going is a little paramount. Trust me when I tell you I have been on my share of those. It's not like it was years ago when everybody got to the job with their tandems which were all DM's, RD'S and Autocars and everybody was friends and the first conversation was how many loads are we doing and where are we stopping for coffee and when for lunch and how much time to kill before you went back for your last load. Those days are done. In my area the Olley's and Wallace's took care of that. I shouldn't name drop but I speak from the truth and I'm friends with them.

Cheers, Rob

Amen to that, there is always one a..hole in the bunch. I always try the how many loads we going to do and I get "we'll I just go along and it is what it is". I love the clowns that you ask if they stopped for coffee and they hold up a week old dirty coffee cup and shake there I already stopped. Back to the topic 300's should be banned in tris.

300 ain't great in a tri axle, I ran Tri axles with 350's with 8LL and 4.42,4.64's ran fine for me but a 427/460 sure is nice at 74000# fur sure! I would buy an Allison if I were getting another Tri axle there are those that don't like em and I was one of em not long ago but I have seen the light. A Tri axle with a 400, 5.02 gears and an Allison is purty sweet and it will make a hell of a difference in the way you feel at the end of the day, its amazing how much better you feel after a day without shifting for 14 hours.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I live in ohio! I'll probably be working black top, dirt, and aggergate! I have bee looking at and 2003 MACK CV713, Tri Axel, DOUBLE FRAME, MACK E7 ENGINE, 400HP, ALLISON 4500 SERIES AUTOMATIC TRANS, CAMELBACK SUSPENSION, 5.02 REAR END RATIO! VS a QUAD 2002 MACK GRANITE CV713, Engine Type EM-7 Horsepower 300! the both have just about the same Miles 380,000, both are automatics but don't know what auto Quad has in it but it is an Allison. Trying to decide what would be best over all. An extra axel vs lest power or a Less Axel vs more power?

300 ain't great in a tri axle, I ran Tri axles with 350's with 8LL and 4.42,4.64's ran fine for me but a 427/460 sure is nice at 74000# fur sure! I would buy an Allison if I were getting another Tri axle there are those that don't like em and I was one of em not long ago but I have seen the light. A Tri axle with a 400, 5.02 gears and an Allison is purty sweet and it will make a hell of a difference in the way you feel at the end of the day, its amazing how much better you feel after a day without shifting for 14 hours.

Sweet! I was leaning towards the Tri! So you really liked it huh Buddy! I'm moving up from a 99 cl-713 with a 460! (it was totaled) It was my first truck and I was Green they saw me coming from a Mile away! It was rusted preet bad when i bought it. It was a six Axel! Even though it brought nmore money in it also brought more problems in!!!!! I don't want to go that big again! So here I am in the Vally of desicions on what to do!

More power, I hate more axles. 3 axles with 1200. 24's. less tires and brakes.

Sweet! I was leaning towards the Tri! So you really liked it huh Buddy! I'm moving up from a 99 cl-713 with a 460! (it was totaled) It was my first truck and I was Green they saw me coming from a Mile away! It was rusted preet bad when i bought it. It was a six Axel! Even though it brought nmore money in it also brought more problems in!!!!! I don't want to go that big again! So here I am in the Vally of desicions on what to do!

Amen to that, there is always one a..hole in the bunch. I always try the how many loads we going to do and I get "we'll I just go along and it is what it is". I love the clowns that you ask if they stopped for coffee and they hold up a week old dirty coffee cup and shake there I already stopped. Back to the topic 300's should be banned in tris.

I love it when everybody agrees what time they are going back for the last load with 5-10 minutes apart from each other and then instead of 2:30 for the first truck he goes back at 2 and throws everybody into panic mode. Anyway more power even for an auto.

IIRC, Ohio weight limits are pretty much determined by "formula B", so the quad axle will give you about a ton and a half more payload. But even with a long wheelbase you'll be limited to about 32 tons GVW or so, I've driven an E7-300 at those weights and it was no slouch. In fact, it was only when loaded up to 80,000 GCW that the 300 felt a bit underpowered.

IIRC, Ohio weight limits are pretty much determined by "formula B", so the quad axle will give you about a ton and a half more payload. But even with a long wheelbase you'll be limited to about 32 tons GVW or so, I've driven an E7-300 at those weights and it was no slouch. In fact, it was only when loaded up to 80,000 GCW that the 300 felt a bit underpowered.

I think in Ohio Quads is usually leagal at 18 Ton! So would you buy the Quad with 300hp and run it at that weight? Or would you buy the Tri with 400hp thats on leagal at 16 Ton?

Your talking payload, I'm talking gross weight. First question- do your customers have a preference for a certain type (tri-axle, quad, etc.) of truck? Then unless they're being unreasonable that's probably what you should get. Second, if you're customer has no preference, are you getting paid by the ton? If so, you want to run at the legal 40 ton weight gross limit with a tractor-trailer or truck and pup combination.

I work with guys that have quads and have 300 engines. In okla 63000 is all we can gross with 5 axles on the ground at 24ft bridge. That is enough power in okla with some hills.Its best to have a 500 but I find its also good to go with what you can afford.A 300 with a 9 speed but no 6 speeds. A Allison will make it better but some here that have a Allison say brakes don't last long.I run a larger engine but could get by with a 300 if I had to.my 2 cents. glenn

glenn akers

I work with guys that have quads and have 300 engines. In okla 63000 is all we can gross with 5 axles on the ground at 24ft bridge. That is enough power in okla with some hills.Its best to have a 500 but I find its also good to go with what you can afford.A 300 with a 9 speed but no 6 speeds. A Allison will make it better but some here that have a Allison say brakes don't last long.I run a larger engine but could get by with a 300 if I had to.my 2 cents. glenn

Glenn thats for the input! I really like the Tri its just around 60,000 with the 400 in her! The Quad is 45,000 with the 300 in her! They both have the Allisons in them the quad is just a year older! If it was you what would you Do!

I'm oh your gonna make more money with the quad and you can always turn up the HP if its not that great. I helped a friend sell a Tri axle from here to a guy in oh he cut it and stretched it to make a quad for payload. I would buy the quad in that situation, run it for a while and if you want more HP turn it up later.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I'm oh your gonna make more money with the quad and you can always turn up the HP if its not that great. I helped a friend sell a Tri axle from here to a guy in oh he cut it and stretched it to make a quad for payload. I would buy the quad in that situation, run it for a while and if you want more HP turn it up later.

How much would I have in turbo, injectors, labor, and computer work?

Just reflash the ecm no other work needed to get another 50-100 HP check out Illinois dyno center and there are a few others. Mack can reflash an ecm to whatever rating you want after warranty is out you just have to know who to talk to and what to ask for.

There was a truck in ky I looked at that was an AI400 engine, he had the ecm recalibrated, addded a bigger Borg Warner turbo and changed his exhaust that rear wheeled 496hp so figure almost 600 flywheel.