When Mack Roamed Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Western Asia

Ok, count it out. Gråsten - a town in Denmark.

Don't ask me how I could type that letter :whistling:

Edited by Vladislav
  • Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few Americans realize the massive global presence that Mack Trucks once had. Mack established a name for itself from Western Europe to Iran with the indestructible Mack NR series military 6x4s that we

Nice shots of the WHDX-1000. And so of us are nuts enough to scratch build one of the 4 units in 1/24 scale. Namely one of the smaller units with the DDC 16V-71 & Clark BD-91000 rear axles......

A few more. Mack's ran from the UK and European mainland to countries throughout the Middle East and Western Asia including Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Vladislav said:

Paul, too much of credit to me.

I (virtually) wiped my eyeglasses and looked at those letters on the screen. Norway, Sweden, Danemark... My bet it's in Danish. But it's more bet than a fact.

There's a Dutch guy who knows everything about every Mack in Europe. But he's a seldom visitor on here. I'll try tossing a question.

After thinking incorrectly that people from that side of the world would know for sure what it all meant I did some googling and it is definitely from Denmark 

I guess I really have egg on my face now, I  guess it would be like someone thinking because I'm Australian I would know whats going on over the top of Western Australia, I have never been there lol

All good Vlad and Frenchy, there really is little known about European Mack's except they had them and I think in quite large numbers as I have collected hundreds of photos of different ones from Europe and the middle East

Im sure it will all become clear in the future

Paul

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Jave just finished reading book 

Me, My Mack, Tehran and Back !

By AndybMacLean

A good read, if this type of thing intresets you then well worth a read

I'm fascinated by this era in Europe and the middle east, a era in transportation I will never understand as we never have any of the issues in Australia that these truck drivers had

So as Molly Meldrum would say "do your self a favor and go out and buy a copy" 

He would say this about vinyl records back in the day not books lol 

Paul20210327-070844.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

At least Mack even though Owned by Volvo is still alive and well here in Australia, And we have the biggest range and horsepower ones available the Titan and SuperLiner at 685HP  for Big Roadtrain Operations, My Favourate Cab Over I drove on a B Double was A Mack Renault Quantum with a Cummins 525 HP ISX with an 18 Speed Fuller RoadRanger

Well Im officially a dick 

Mike Tee sent some pics and story to go with them to share here and I  ruddy well forgot so please forgive me

I have a thousand excuses but the truth is I'm a useless joker at times  so sorry about this 

From months ago 

I'll have to send multiple emails due to file size

regards

Mike

05-thumb-jpg-66f8c6553984abc9d12001dab06

656822986-Central-Maintenance-Facility-t

• Like 1

And some more

These are the workers camps, we have similar set ups in lots of Australian mining and remote construction camps 

Mike Tee  sent me these on November 27, 2020

I'm bloody hopeless sorry Mike 

•  

I'll have to send multiple emails due to file size

regards

Mike

this is the last one! Hope they are of interest

Staff housing

1568060879-Staffhousing-thumb-jpg-f97bc0

family housing1081061363-Familyhousing-thumb-jpg-afa26

Some more

03-thumb-jpg-7b3a7251ae31230148d9a72f22e

04-thumb-jpg-1646e47987bd64a8c03ddb20006

And the story in Mike Tee's words

We had more than a couple of hundred just in our fleet! At that time though, I don't think there were many more in the country - as we carried a huge spares inventory, if there had been others, I'm sure they would have been around looking for spares. We got a few european Macks passing through, and helped out some of them.

We did cover the whole country, firstly based near Dammam on the east coast with our original Aramco contract, then we got the job of carrying all the pipe for the trans Saudi pipeline that went from the east coast over to Yanbu on the west coast - plus just about every destination in between! The dump truck was one of many that we carried up to the new King Khalid Military city site in the north of the country - it was bare desert when I took one of the first convoys up there - we had a huge amount of equipment etc that had to be moved up before they could do any construction. Had to bring in a few Kenworths for the heavy stuff, though just before I left we took delivery of our own custom built heavy haul rig - if memory serves me, it had a capacity well north of 200 tons.

One of my jobs was safety manager, so I saw a lot of the country investigating many accidents, most of which were not our fault, and I eventually persuaded the police to accept that! Thoroughly enjoyed my time over there - about 4 years - but got moved on to other projects.

regards

Mike

I must apologize to everyone for my lapse in this

Especially to Mike for entrusting me with his photos and story 

I hope you enjoy them as much as I did, thank you fgor sharing these Mike 

Paul

• Like 2