B model kingpins

Hi everyone! My b61 is in need of kinpins and am wondering how easy they are to get and how much I might be looking at to have them done.Also have any of you tried to do anything to soften ride on these original suspensions? I thought about removing some of the leafs but need to talk to a truck mechanic. Just wondering what others might have done. Thanks!!

post-12952-0-23569100-1363223088_thumb.j

You will need the front axle number so you know what is needed for the pins and parts.

The number is stamped on the right side of the axle facing toward the front. It will be on the angled section going toward the pass. side spindle. Example such as FA505 or FA517.

Some people remove some rear leaves and add a spacer block to keep the height but you loose carrying capacity.

Looks like you have been shopping at Old Mack's.

Jim

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

You will need the front axle number so you know what is needed for the pins and parts.

The number is stamped on the right side of the axle facing toward the front. It will be on the angled section going toward the pass. side spindle. Example such as FA505 or FA517.

Some people remove some rear leaves and add a spacer block to keep the height but you loose carrying capacity.

Looks like you have been shopping at Old Mack's.

Jim

Actually, get the 1QH number that's stamped on the right front side of the axle (e.g. 1QH5374P2). Your Mack dealer can take it from there.

Thanks guys. I did actually buy it from Dennis. Still on the fence whether it was a good decision or not but the truck runs well and body is in very good condition from what I have seen in other B models. wish I had some original fuel tanks though! This is my first big truck but have had about everything else so I figures what the hell as you just don't see this kind of stuff in Colorado. i am never going to pull a trailer so I might remove some of the shorter leaves and do the old school spacer.

Edited by d427

?? that truck has original fuel tanks on it, least the driver side is. forgot what it has on the pass side. i know i looked at it before. does have a U or R model air tank on it and in the wrong spot for a B model tractor. think around 57 or 58 they moved the tank to the back crossmember which is a horrible spot for it if you ever wanna put a hitch on the back, the air tank is in the way. seen alot of guys move them to the side.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the fuel tank info. I thought they all came with the square tanks but I have seen them with round one too but assumed that they had just been changed out. I wondered about the air tank too. It has the one on the rear crossmember and the one along the left frame rail. Here is the tank on the right side

post-12952-0-18998700-1363305882_thumb.j

• Like 1

yea, those are original fuel tanks and the right one is like a hens tooth to find actually. the older B tractors had two air tanks, one inside the frame rail on left side behind the battery box and one that hung off brackets below it. it was a bitch with the one inside the frame to mount a dump box or anything so i think around 58 Mack moved it to the back crossmember and put just one large tank on. then around 62 they changed the large tank again and made it a total two chanber tank with a hose on top movin air from one side to other. makin the first part a wet tank. i think the older large tanks had the two chambers but had the baffle in middle with holes between them instead of the hose on the top of the tank. the back tank was still in the way cause if you wanna mount a pintle hitch its in the way

I cut my rear leafs down to only 3, the rest were just spacers(cut the leaves down). It made no differene empty, but with my trailer it rode nice. Only problem after about 10 yrs was I broke the right rear on a trip. I made it home, with 4x4's holding it up. Those 50 yr old leaves were not meant to move as much as I made them go. They gave up. I had new packs made, but replaced it with air ride a few years later.

I've also do the king pins. Actually was pretty easy, only a few hours to get it stripped down to spindles and apart.

Broken spring:

Jul05_0006.jpg

King pins:

Splindles-1.jpg

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

That is what I am assuming Maddog. I wasn't sure what all Lt differnces were but I had heard that some used aluminum hoods as well but mine is steel. Truck was originally red. I am powdercoating the wheels and hubs next week and instaling new radials on front to compliment new kingpins and alignment. Was the air ride expensive to do Freightrain? I have put bags on a few pickups. Anyoneknow what fluid is best for the power steering? Regular power steering fluid?

the serial number should read B61LTXXXXX on it if its a true BLT. most had aluminum springs hangers in the rear and the aluminum tanks, some just had the 75 gallon on the driverside tho to. there were many variations, some BLT's didnt have front brake and had aluminum front spring hangers, flush bumpers also. most had alumuminum bell housings and trandmission cases and i have seen at least one with an aluminum steering column and hood and the steering column brace that goes from the cowl to the column under the dash was aluminum also.