One For Vinny

Dougsr

I saw this truck near Jena,LA at the little settlement of Whitehall today. I thought when I come back I will get a picture for Vinny. I did not get any info from it. No one was there so I did not want to go messing around it.

Doug

post-10767-0-61844200-1363115446_thumb.j

That's a former USAF aircraft refueler. Refuelers have the mufflers mounted under the front bumper away from the fuel tank. Most USAF refuelers were built

on Mack or Dodge chassis. Many found their way into civlian fire service after their military service was finished.

bulldogboy

Many of these ex USAF fuel tenders did indeed go on to civilian fire department service as water tankers. And many, many of them became victims of roll-overs- but not just for poor driving: they were designed primarily to operate on flight lines their entire lives, never meant for road speeds or conditions. Just miles of perfect flatness and speeds rarely exceeding 25mph. The tanks on these had little to no baffles. So when they started filling them with water (which is about 2 pounds heavier than a gallon of JP8) they were overweight. Then throw in curves and no baffles.....bad things man, bad things.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

What makes them even more dangerous is most places cut openings between the compartments so the water will flow from all of them at once. At least they had enough sense to remove all of the warning devices. I hope that means they never drive it in a response mode.

Probably about 2000 gallons which means it is 6 tons heavier with water than fuel.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!