Pictures of NYC 20+ years ago

Timothy Maikshilo

Nice photos,I forgot all about the Pepsi sign. I spent a lot of time in traffic looking at it getting thirsty. Shame that most of the piers on the Hudson and East River are gone or abandoned. Thanks for posting them. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Nice photos,I forgot all about the Pepsi sign. I spent a lot of time in traffic looking at it getting thirsty. Shame that most of the piers on the Hudson and East River are gone or abandoned. Thanks for posting them. Paul

Paul, got some of College Point too in Queenspost-426-0-33074400-1362523104_thumb.jpgyou can see the towers off in the distancepost-426-0-40362400-1362523169_thumb.jpgand some old boatspost-426-0-15912100-1362523207_thumb.jpgpost-426-0-58527100-1362523220_thumb.jpg

Nice pictures,thanks for posting them! i wish i had taken more pictures earlier in my career,being from Jersey,and in the moving & storage business,i was in NYC/LI all the time! to this day it is still strange for me to run the NJTPK north,look over and not see the twin towers. Just so happened i was in Long Island City at the Coca-Cola bottling plant delivering a machine on 911.......................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Nice pictures,thanks for posting them! i wish i had taken more pictures earlier in my career,being from Jersey,and in the moving & storage business,i was in NYC/LI all the time! to this day it is still strange for me to run the NJTPK north,look over and not see the twin towers. Just so happened i was in Long Island City at the Coca-Cola bottling plant delivering a machine on 911.......................................Mark

Wow Mark, What the chance of that? It must have been a difficult day all around for you. I wish I had taken more too, was in some pretty interesting places around the city and boroughs. Ave of the Americans in Manhattan was a stop I made often and Hunts Point also Good-o-beverage and Manhattan Special.

Another sight i miss seeing is the Mary Murray,the abandoned Staten Island ferry just visible Northeast of exit 9 in the Raritan river,sat for YEARS alongside an abandoned yacht supposedly once owned by the shah of iran.................................Mark

post-5836-0-31641100-1362524984_thumb.jp

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Another sight i miss seeing is the Mary Murray,the abandoned Staten Island ferry just visible Northeast of exit 9 in the Raritan river,sat for YEARS alongside an abandoned yacht supposedly once owned by the shah of iran.................................Mark

You'd think someone would have salvaged it. Pretty neat looking boat and I like looking at the old city photo's too. Brings back fond memories.

That is an awesome photo. It's a shame it can't be frozen in time as is without further deterioration of the ferry.

Jim

Great shots, that second College Point pic is beautiful! Most people have no idea how many small,isolated areas there are within the 5 boroughs that remain unspoiled by developers.

Jim, it is pretty interesting when you look at it from a different point of view that most people don't see and the little things even in a big city.

Tough couple days for sure! i could'nt get out of the city any which way i tried! at first, like most people,i thought it was just some sort of accident,i was watching TV in the truck,trying to find out what had happened,when one of the guys at the Coke plant told me about the 2nd plane,then i knew something was really wrong! i was still leased to Atlas Van Lines at the time,and was put on "standby" in case specialized transport was needed ( i pulled a 51' drop-frame moving van,with temp. control and a liftgate) was introduced to Greek food,as a family let me eat,and shower above their restaurant! nice people.Not something i would want to do over for sure,i did'nt end up doing anything recovery-wise,but really saw a lot of people come together and help in a time of need...........................Mark

People can come together and those Greek folks are an example of that. There are a lot of great people out there.

Mark

I can remember heading to the Meadowlands from Monmouth Park the weekend after 9-11-01

I looked over to the right and could still see smoke rising from the towers.

The day it happened I was driving all day, listened to the news on the radio, but never saw pictures of it till I got back home at night.

The pictures on the news upset me as they did all of us but I guess I'm hardened by all the horrors and violence we see on the news and TV in general that it didn't bring tears to my eyes.

That morning heading to the Meadowlands that all changed, started bawling like a baby when I saw the smoke!

Ron

Sorry if the pics. brought back any bad memories. On 911 I was Dairy farming then and just got back in from mowing hay when I saw it on the late morning news and couldn't believe it.

• Like 1

I used to deliver to all the Pepsi facilities including that one in Long Island city and the one in college point. Those pics bring back memories. I had just got done delivering to the John Deere dealer in riverhead when the planes hit. Went to the lawn and garden dealer down in port Jefferson he got me on the ferry to ct so I could get home.

• Like 1

I was in East Hanover at Novartis working on site for James Construction driving for L. Demarino. I was chilling in my truck with a tape in the radio and my wife calls me and says" do you have the radio on?" and with that we got cut off. About 5 minutes later everybody on the site just stopped. Everybody refused to work and then they sent all of us out because they were afraid of bombings of the pharmacy facilities. Makes you wonder what else these places are making. That night Kevin Breen called Leslie because Fletcher Creamer .called for as many dump trucks as he could get. We were going to go in on the weekend but by then it just became a money making deal with the top four companies that do all of the work for the city and the unions. Sanzari and Creamer were only there for the week and they got kicked out. Breen's drivers only did one load a night and all of the guys came home with headaches.

Cheers, Rob

• Like 1

Paul, got some of College Point too in Queensattachicon.gifimage0-007.jpgyou can see the towers off in the distanceattachicon.gifimage0-009.jpgand some old boatsattachicon.gifimage0-010.jpgattachicon.gifimage0-011.jpg

The marina was a sore spot for Ed Koch :)

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

My girlfriend has a friend that was going to a job interview at the WTC that day. Jacquie wanted to get there early to find the right office and relax a little bit before the meeting. She was about a block away when it happened and was able to get away.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

My girlfriend has a friend that was going to a job interview at the WTC that day. Jacquie wanted to get there early to find the right office and relax a little bit before the meeting. She was about a block away when it happened and was able to get away.

Wow, talk about luck. The Man upstairs was looking after her and had other plans.

BTW, I was on a plane to California. My plane departed from Cleveland.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Jim

I bet she's thought back on that a many a time!

Just makes you wonder doesn't it?

Ron

It still is all pretty spooky. Everybody has memories of where they were.

I was at home sick that day and had the news on and saw it all.

Jacquie decided that a different job and living in NH would be better!

Condolences to all that lost loved ones.

Jim

Tim, great pictures.

I think all of us wish we had taken pictures of what we used to see "everyday".

There was a beautiful farm and farmland about an hour away from me. Didn't go that way for about 10 years or so and now it is a strip mall.

Jim

• Like 1

Jim