1948 JD B

Wow, it even has electric start! My dad's 1948 B has flywheel hand start as electric was an extra cost option (John Deere was behind the times as I believe all other manufacturers had electric as standard). Are you sure that isnt an A John Deere? The photo may be deceiving me but it looks a bit larger than a B.

Wow, it even has electric start! My dad's 1948 B has flywheel hand start as electric was an extra cost option (John Deere was behind the times as I believe all other manufacturers had electric as standard). Are you sure that isnt an A John Deere? The photo may be deceiving me but it looks a bit larger than a B

It is amazing how easy the hand start B's turn over with the petcocks open. One or two spins and pop pop. This is a B and we've had just about every size they made. L through G and a 730 diesel.post-426-0-52761000-1362311986_thumb.jpgMy big brother seen here proud as a peacock, to date the picture he is now 51 years old.post-426-0-30934300-1362312161_thumb.jpg

Wow, it even has electric start! My dad's 1948 B has flywheel hand start as electric was an extra cost option (John Deere was behind the times as I believe all other manufacturers had electric as standard). Are you sure that isnt an A John Deere? The photo may be deceiving me but it looks a bit larger than a B.

The B had the "stepped" muffler (small diameter outlet pipe - upper pic). The A used a large diameter muffler (large the whole length - lower pic). And I believe the air stack was larger on the A.

post-3289-0-46303500-1362313022_thumb.jp

post-3289-0-00769100-1362313040_thumb.jp

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

post-12279-0-71551400-1362316964_thumb.jAwesome pictures!!! Your family must have been very proud of that tractor to take those picturers.....i know i would have been. A friend of mine has a "B" model....Uses it all summer to make hay. It doesnt have electric start so its always parked on a hill somewhere. There's nothing like the sound of an old Deere....we have a 1957....

• Like 1

Yup, it was used for tedding and raking, manure spreading (that's a stinky job) and utility work. It was a little too fast in the woodlot, but hauled some anyway. The property had some rocky areas which made me not like tricycle gear too much.

It didn't have the hp or the proper gears for much else.

The B was more power and better gearing.

The narrow front can be a little tricky on hills too but found that in the woods is easier around the treespost-426-0-57377500-1362321134_thumb.jpgA more recent photo of Dad's B andpost-426-0-32062400-1362321118_thumb.jpgThe hand start B

Yup, it was used for tedding and raking, manure spreading (that's a stinky job) and utility work. It was a little too fast in the woodlot, but hauled some anyway. The property had some rocky areas which made me not like tricycle gear too much.

It didn't have the hp or the proper gears for much else.

The B was more power and better gearing.

Pretty amazing after 80 some odd years John Deere pulled their franchise from RN Johnson.

Its too bad about RN Johnson. There are a lot of people around here with Deeres and now there is no dealer even remotely close. When it first happened they said they were going to try to find a different tractor line and keep going, but they were unsuccessful and will be closing at the end of the month.

attachicon.gifphoto (94).JPG

This is me and my 70 grading the driveway at the families vacation home in VT (2012)

attachicon.gifphoto (95).JPG

Me and a Ford 2n, the same driveway more than 42 yeas ago, (1970) :blush:

FW

Wow FW Great photo's of then and now. Both great tractors. Is the 70 diesel? Like the big rubber on the front. 1970 I was 5 :)

Wow FW Great photo's of then and now. Both great tractors. Is the 70 diesel? Like the big rubber on the front. 1970 I was 5 :)

Thanks, gasoline, at one time it had a front loader and someone put chuck wagon wheels on it. I made up a cat 2 3pt hitch, owned this one since 2000.

FW

Thanks, gasoline, at one time it had a front loader and someone put chuck wagon wheels on it. I made up a cat 2 3pt hitch, owned this one since 2000.

FW

Oh and you do a very nice job on your driveway. Looks better than most roads around here. post-426-0-98466800-1362659328_thumb.jpgMy road grader, snow plow and log loader which I wish I didn't get rid of a few years back. Was an awesome machine and did plenty of side work with it.

• 2 weeks later...

We have a 1951 B. Ours is an all-fuel (has a tank for kerosene and a smaller tank for gas). Those mufflers with the square bottom weren't the greatest idea Deere ever had. The hole through the hood on those tractors was round. The right way to replace the muffler would be to remove the grill and steering wheel, then pull the steering shaft out through the front. Next you would unbolt the hood and lift it up and over the muffler and air cleaner. That isn't as easy as it sounds since the fuel tanks are attached to the hood, so you are lifting the tanks at the same time as the hood. Now that you pretty much have the enitre tractor tore apart, you can replace the muffler. Of course this is not what most people did. Ours had the metal cut and pulled out around the hole so that the muffler could be removed. They got smart with the number series tractors and did like they did with the unstyled tractors and the styled G and ran the muffler base through the hood so that the muffler could be removed just by unbolting it from the base. Another interesting thing, this time about the model H, was that the power from that engine was taken off the camshaft, instead of the crankshaft.

Shelby

Edited by sbrant

We have a 1951 B. Ours is an all-fuel (has a tank for kerosene and a smaller tank for gas). Those mufflers with the square bottom weren't the greatest idea Deere ever had. The hole through the hood on those tractors was round. The right way to replace the muffler would be to remove the grill and steering wheel, then pull the steering shaft out through the front. Next you would unbolt the hood and lift it up and over the muffler and air cleaner. That isn't as easy as it sounds since the fuel tanks are attached to the hood, so you are lifting the tanks at the same time as the hood. Now that you pretty much have the enitre tractor tore apart, you can replace the muffler. Of course this is not what most people did. Ours had the metal cut and pulled out around the hole so that the muffler could be removed. They got smart with the number series tractors and did like they did with the unstyled tractors and the styled G and ran the muffler base through the hood so that the muffler could be removed just by unbolting it from the base. Another interesting thing, this time about the model H, was that the power from that engine was taken off the camshaft, instead of the crankshaft.

Shelby

Interesting, My Grandfather cut the hood to change the muffler too. I guess when your farming and time is not easy to come by that is what they did. The H was a great little tractor!

Still have both of these JDs. All of the tractors we have have a push button start, so I guess that is the years that we do and don't collect! Unless you have a great running and tuned engine, those cranks and flywheels don't look like fun to start. That's just my opinion and preference.

Still have both of these JDs. All of the tractors we have have a push button start, so I guess that is the years that we do and don't collect! Unless you have a great running and tuned engine, those cranks and flywheels don't look like fun to start. That's just my opinion and preference.

Great looking tractors. Wish my brother kept his H. Nice little tractor for raking. 530 awesome tractor too.

This is my Dad mowing last May on my John Deere 60, and by the way I was 2 in 1970, I have had many JD B's, but like everything else that stuff has slowed, sold my last B in November.

Here is a picture of my Dad running the disk in the garden and my youngest after planting potatoes. My Dad Farmed potatoes so it is only right to have help me get mine in the ground when he comes to visit, it also kind of keeps the family farming tradition alive

just noticed to you can see one of my B parts tarctor in the picture of my Dad on the JD 990 with the disk

post-10018-0-07121300-1363568720_thumb.j

post-10018-0-43120800-1363568723_thumb.j

post-10018-0-55069700-1363568727_thumb.j

post-10018-0-25431700-1363569011_thumb.j

post-10018-0-95341600-1363569015_thumb.j

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

This is my Dad mowing last May on my John Deere 60, and by the way I was 2 in 1970, I have had many JD B's, but like everything else that stuff has slowed, sold my last B in November.

Here is a picture of my Dad running the disk in the garden and my youngest after planting potatoes. My Dad Farmed potatoes so it is only right to have help me get mine in the ground when he comes to visit, it also kind of keeps the family farming tradition alive

just noticed to you can see one of my B parts tarctor in the picture of my Dad on the JD 990 with the disk

Wonderful pictures Thomastractorsvc, Great JD 60 and you have a awesome little helper. Your Dad looks right at home on those green tractors and beautiful piece of land. Glad I grew up in the 70's on the farm and put my hands in the dirt too!post-426-0-71375000-1363570737_thumb.jpgMy son at 5 taking out hay from the dairy barn.