Mixed bag from down under

Here you go Tim some Macks and other rigs from New Zealand and Oz. The F models and Kenworth TD and Lendrich Kenworth were post cards I had bought from a dealer at Englishtown many years ago. The other ones were just regular photos I had bought.

Cheers, Rob

post-8724-0-21926900-1361999071_thumb.jp

post-8724-0-50484500-1361999098_thumb.jp

post-8724-0-35287800-1361999123_thumb.jp

post-8724-0-78600200-1361999145_thumb.jp

post-8724-0-24006200-1361999171_thumb.jp

post-8724-0-73973800-1361999187_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Here you go Tim some Macks and other rigs from New Zealand and Oz. The F models and Kenworth TD and Lendrich Kenworth were post cards I had bought from a dealer at Englishtown many years ago. The other ones were just regular photos I had bought.

Cheers, Rob

Awesome RFC! Those are some great pictures. If you've ever met a "truckie" from OZ or NZ you would see just how much they love their trucks. Just talked to my mate NZ and he told me I better put a visor on mine! That KW with the low loader and the crawler is top shelf!post-426-0-93580100-1362094308_thumb.jpgGlen's KW has a 600 cummins and here is one that was nice toopost-426-0-76391800-1362094400_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Very cool Tim. I used to subscribe to NZ Truck And Driver, Truckin Life (AU), and I still get Trucking from the UK. I have too many mags If you are interested I could ship some of them up to you as they might wind up in the trash.

Cheers, Rob

• Like 1

Very cool Tim. I used to subscribe to NZ Truck And Driver, Truckin Life (AU), and I still get Trucking from the UK. I have too many mags If you are interested I could ship some of them up to you as they might wind up in the trash.

Cheers, Rob

I used to have a few copies of Truckin Life,i wish i still had the one with an ad for Mack,when they introduced the R-Model,had a picture of a "truckie" with tears in his eyes,saying "when i heard Mack were replacing the B-Model,i could have cried! that is TILL i saw the new R-Model" !.......................................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I started subscribing in 98 so I have quite a few. Very expensive though to subscribe overseas. The really old issues were probably pretty cool with the naked pinup girls in them. Of course the trucks too. :)

Cheers, Rob

• Like 2

RFCDrum

just love the ERF..!!! used to play with them years ago..

and since we are "down under", I saw this today on biglorryblog.com

BC Mack

Biglorryblog recalls a monster Mack truck pull down-under--thanks to a nudge from Gazza!
  • 28 February 2013
  • By Brian Weatherley

logo-1.jpg

"I've just heard there's going to be an exciting reunion event being supported by VCV Brisbane next month" says Biglorryblog's Mack man down-under Gary Richards who adds: "I expect a few of the anorak army may have missed "The Mighty Mungindi Truck Pull" back in 2003 so thought I had better fill in the gaps...all part of our 50 big years of Mack Downunder! The record for the world's longest road train was broken near Mungindi in '03 when a Mack Titan prime mover, driven by John Atkinson, pulled 87 trailers, with a combined length of 1235.3 metres. We guessed the GCM to be around 900-tonne!"

Road%20Train%20Plaque%202.jpg

And Gazza continues: "The event was organised to benefit the Vanessa Memorial Cancer Care Fund and Westpac Rescue Helicopter and won the town 'The Event of the Year' in the NSW Tidy Town Awards. Then in 2006, the record was lifted even higher and its still remains unbeaten today !! - as you can read on the plaque pic. Regards, Gary." Well I certainly recall blogging on the event back in 2003 so it must have been on of the first stories I put down on BLB all those years ago back in 2005. If anyone has some shots of the 2003 and 2006 event perhaps they'd send them to BLB so I can post them up.

I love the ERF too BC.If you look close you can see the Jake Brake decal on the sleeper window. I'm guessing a Cummins since I know a lot of ERF 's had them. I saw that post today too on Big Lorry Blog.I like British lorries. My mom is from the UK and I still have family over there. I guess that makes me a hybrid or a half ass! LOL

Cheers, Rob

• Like 1

I love the ERF too BC.If you look close you can see the Jake Brake decal on the sleeper window. I'm guessing a Cummins since I know a lot of ERF 's had them. I saw that post today too on Big Lorry Blog.I like British lorries. My mom is from the UK and I still have family over there. I guess that makes me a hybrid or a half ass! LOL

Cheers, Rob

Cummins or Rolls Eagle were the usual, by then the Gardner was losing its charm though a 8LXB 240hp straight 8 could keep up with most of the competition and was good on fuel.

I started my wrenching career in the UK and all the trucks from 60's and 70's were around me... worked mainly on the Volvo F88 but got time on Scammell, ERF, Foden, Atkinson, Daf, Magirus and even the V8 Scania 141, mmmmm. There we a lot of trucks doing the 'Middle East run' down to the Gulf and anything that could take a pounding went there... quite an era.

if you are into that time period then try this forum...

http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=35

the main board is for present day truck (or should I say lorry) drivers and operators.

BC Mack

All very cool. BC running to the Middle East back then must of been some adventure. I've read some things on that. Those guys had some balls running those distances and going through the terrain and dealing with the different cultures.

Cheers, Rob

All very cool. BC running to the Middle East back then must of been some adventure. I've read some things on that. Those guys had some balls running those distances and going through the terrain and dealing with the different cultures.

Cheers, Rob

Many years ago a British TV channel sent a film crew with a convoy of Astran trucks from UK to Doha... it is now on youtube as a ten parter, if you want to sit back, relax and watch all 10, or jump to "the difficult bit" which takes up the trip in Turkey. These guys make the Ice Road Truckers seem like pussies. Oh yeh, they break down their own tires, fix their own trucks, pull each other out of the sand, deal in cash for fuel in multiple currencies and navigate with a Michelin map with many blank spots on it... and no cell phones.

The road is paved now, practically no customs line ups (Bulgaria was three days then) and the sense of adventure is all but gone. I used to have to fix these type of trucks after they came back, and they were knackered.

This company also went overland to Afganistan and were an early pioneer of long distance overland trucking from uk to asia.

BC Mack

A lot of guys ran F Model Macks and the Volvo f88 and the Ford Transcontinentals with Cummins in them. I want ti get those two books that are out on the trucking to the Middle East.

Cheers, Rob

Rob

Cola Cowboys, Long Haul Pioneers, Trans Orient etc

the "at work" series have Volvo Scania and Transcon

http://www.nynehead-books.co.uk/description.php?II=2066

http://www.nynehead-books.co.uk/description.php?II=2049

http://www.nynehead-books.co.uk/description.php?II=1777

check out their full catalogue...

http://www.toprun.ch/truck/book.html

these guys have a lot of the M/E stuff but watch the shipping

keep and eye on ebay.co.uk as there are other suppliers

and Amazon in the US can have them too, and I've found a few with $6 shipping from the UK.

if you can google around a bit you may find some suppliers in the US but I have not been too lucky for the ones that interest me... there are some good books in the US but most deal with custom trucks all blinged out with chrome bumpers for sunvisors, not my cup of tea..!!!

Dover Docks in the late 70's all heading for "The Continent"... if only I carried a camera or now owned a time machine....

you can PM me if we start to drift off too far for our Mack audience, but I figure they're all truck guys!!!

I've posted this pic before but it just says 'Dover' to me.

BC Mack

post-10384-0-20212000-1362183615_thumb.j

Here ya go!! Gotta love them Aussies

Thats just the ad i was talking about! i lost the magazine it was in years ago,thanks for posting it!................................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Yea BC Nynehead books looks like the best dealer for books. I don't really know of many US dealers with as much variety. I think Dover was where I took the Hovercraft across to Calais with my grandparents on one of my trips to the UK. That was an interesting day trip.

Cheers, Rob