Cracked 44,000 axle housings

I have an aging fleet of DM690s that are used in ready mixed concrete. They all have the 44,000LB fabricated steel rear axle housings.I have started to replace rear axle housing due to corrosion from acid cleaners and cracks near the differential housing gasket flange.I have notice the cracks always appear on the drivers side,under the bevel gear compartment and near the the gasket surface and/or mounting bolt holes.I have also had difficulty in finding good usable replacement housings.They are cracked in the same location.It seems that its always the rear,rear housing AND it used a horizontal anti-sway torque rod.I havent seen any cracked housings used in the front,rear location.I have welded the cracks on one housing,(50,000) because I couldnt locate a replacement.Its been 2 years ago and it seems good.Has anyone else performed repairs on this type housings ,where they were able to monitor their repairs for the years following.

That happens because the transverse torque rod is constantly trying to tear the diff out of the banjo housing every time the truck goes around a corner. I've welded them before, as long as you vee out the crack, get good penetration & then put a reinforcement plate on the outside of the housing, it will usually stay fixed. The other way to solve the problem is to find a used "cast" banjo housing to replace the fabricated one. The cast housings don't crack under those conditions. Cast housongs are getting hard to find though, because most have been bought up for just that reason.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Our 2001 RD690 has the 44,000 fabricated and the rear rear has been leaking for years. We took the rear out welded it and it lasted about a month. Has been leaking for last 4 or 5 years since fix. Never have seen cast housings crack. We have a set of 46,000 cast one and and we are thinking about putting those in.

Matt

Our 2001 RD690 has the 44,000 fabricated and the rear rear has been leaking for years. We took the rear out welded it and it lasted about a month. Has been leaking for last 4 or 5 years since fix. Never have seen cast housings crack. We have a set of 46,000 cast one and and we are thinking about putting those in.

Just replace the rearmost housing with a cast one, save the other cast housing from your spare set of tandems for the next truck that has that issue.

Being close to an export point like Houston,the spear chunkers have bought up almost everything that says Mack on it.Ive considered using the cast housing but havent been able to get my hands on any yet.I was hoping I wasnt the only one having this experience.

Being close to an export point like Houston,the spear chunkers have bought up almost everything that says Mack on it.Ive considered using the cast housing but havent been able to get my hands on any yet.I was hoping I wasnt the only one having this experience.

I think they all the two piece crack eventually especially if in a dump truck or mixer where all the weight is on those axles.

Matt

When I bought my RD the rear housing had been busted and repaired, then cracked again and leaking when I bought it. I assumed it was cast, and I didn't even know there was any other kind. I bought a used housing (also cast, I assume,) and swapped it in. It hasn't leaked ever since, (going on two years.) I did notice, however, upon swapping the housings out, that the one I bought was actually a front housing. I just stripped the spiders off of the old housing and mouted them on the new housing. Does anybody have a pic of a steel manufactured housing? I'd just about swear that mine is cast, but I'm not sure.

Jake

When I bought my RD the rear housing had been busted and repaired, then cracked again and leaking when I bought it. I assumed it was cast, and I didn't even know there was any other kind. I bought a used housing (also cast, I assume,) and swapped it in. It hasn't leaked ever since, (going on two years.) I did notice, however, upon swapping the housings out, that the one I bought was actually a front housing. I just stripped the spiders off of the old housing and mouted them on the new housing. Does anybody have a pic of a steel manufactured housing? I'd just about swear that mine is cast, but I'm not sure.

Look at them there should be a bead of weld around the whole thing right in the middle where they welded the two halfs together

Matt

Interesting I worked at H and H Mack in Rockaway in parts back in 97 for about a year and a half.This was when triaxles started to become real popular in Jersey and they were specced light with 44 rears most of them. At one time we had fifteen axle housing replacements at once because these guys were overloading the crap out of these trucks and cracking the housings. When Mack finally came out with the 46's that seemed to solve a lot of problems. A lot of guys went to 50's, 52's and 54's and upgraded to 12r24.5's. The triaxle I ran for Gulino was Sanchez's and it had 52's, 20 tag and 18 front but Joe changed tires to 12r's rear and 425's on tag and front. We did a lot of dirt work so this truck held up pretty well. I'm not a fan of light tri axles.

Cheers, Rob,

thats weird our 89 superliner has the fabricated 50k lb rears and has never cracked . truck has 1.2 million miles

Did it have a transverse torque rod on the rearmost diff?? If not, then that's why it didn't crack.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is in need of any Mack axle housings I have good used ones in stock. They are sanded and then checked for cracks or past weld repairs and have inspected bearing journals and then painted and ready for instalation. Can ship anywhare

Thanks, John 732 620 3051

That's what we used to see at H And H when we were changing all of those housings. Where was I going to put them all. My parts manager would never tell me until Pitt Ohio came in the morning and I had five or six pallets of these at a time. Crazy job but good experience.

Cheers, Rob