96 RD688S Mechanical Motor?

Ahubbard

Dad just bought a 96 rd688s and I assumed it was going to be a v-mac ii with the econovance and all that jazz. When he got it home I see it is fully mechanical (with a pushrod from pedal to pump). Was this an option to get in 96 or is this motor put into the truck sometime along the way? I thought they were all electronic by that time. VIN is 1M2P267C4VM032876 if that is any help. Thank You

edit- maybe a 1997 i will check

Edited by HubMackDM

Okay thanks. My 99 has the etech. Find myself sometimes wishing it was the old mechanical style though. Its almost like that computer gives up sometimes on a hard pull.... I think he should be happy with this motor. Also while I am posting here what's the difference between a 688 and 690. I see there is a decoder for vin and model numbers on wiki but the model number decoder seems to lack how to decode an RD? I am just curious thank you

Here's what I came up with ... Lol

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/topic/1760-rd688-vs-rd690/

The two dm's in my avatar one a 96 the other a 99 , are what I drive at work, I would rather drive the 96 with the mech engine ,just seems you can feel the power more with the mechanical engine ...

Thanks again. Your dm's are sharp looking. I spent my first 10 years in a 1986 dm 285 with a 6 speed. Kinda will always have that warm fuzzy spot in my heart for an offset cab.

All the trucks I have seen after '94 have the wire going into the injection pump.

Same thing I was thinking, when dad said mechanical I did not believe him until I saw for myself.

Told myself that if i ever have trouble with that 99 motor I will swap it out for mechanical. They are probably harder to come by now i would assume. Plus I dont know how that works with emmissions and all that. But I like to picture her all mechanical, puffing a bit of black on the shifts.

You could get the mechanical E7 or the VMAC E7 from 93 to 98 then they went to all ETECH in 99 I believe, I had a 93 VMAC CH, a 95 Mechanical E7 RD, 98 Mechanical E7 RD, 99 ETECH RD, 2000 ETECH RD, 2004 ASET Granite, 2006 ASET Granite, then the E9 trucks of course but those are Mechanical up to the last few with the Bosch VMAC pumps and they were few and far between here, more in AU.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I know those numbers (688,690,etc.) are supposed to hold true but I have seen a bunch of RD's that were mixed around, I figured it changed when they got into the newer trucks.

Dds, most were triaxle dumps so fuel mileage didn't mean as much, seems the vmac 400 CH is doing good, its still running stock and averages 6.8 pulling a dump trailer, the ETECH should get better mileage if you really ponder it being unit pumps instead of an inline pump/nozzle setup but I don't really know.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"