Wow...Just...Wow.

Back in the 70's to early 80's before the restoration bug bit so many of us, so many of the older Macks were a dime a dozen. The need for bigger engines more speed and such things as airride suspension was at the forefront then and the boys in Allentown did't seem to catch on until they had lost a large share of the OTR business. THE FOREIGNERS came over with suitcases of cash and Mack being their preferred truck and me having a yard full of obsolete trucks and no driver being willing to drive more than a few weeks while the other drivers drove more powerful better riding trucks with ameneties ie: ps ac airride suspension cab and seat.Having these trucks just sitting around rusting made no sense so the man with the suitcase full of cash wins every time.It waseither sell them for export or scrap them.What would you have done??? NUFF SAID

Back in the 70's to early 80's before the restoration bug bit so many of us, so many of the older Macks were a dime a dozen. The need for bigger engines more speed and such things as airride suspension was at the forefront then and the boys in Allentown did't seem to catch on until they had lost a large share of the OTR business. THE FOREIGNERS came over with suitcases of cash and Mack being their preferred truck and me having a yard full of obsolete trucks and no driver being willing to drive more than a few weeks while the other drivers drove more powerful better riding trucks with ameneties ie: ps ac airride suspension cab and seat.Having these trucks just sitting around rusting made no sense so the man with the suitcase full of cash wins every time.It waseither sell them for export or scrap them.What would you have done??? NUFF SAID

Sell the big horsepower trucks and tell the drivers drive the good old ones or leave

Matt

Hindsight is always 20/20....if we knew then what we know now, most of us would be millionaires (or at least have a yard full of nice "stuff").

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

I guess I see things a bit differently. As mentioned Haiti is among the poorest countries in the world, a few years ago devastating earthquakes added insult to injury there. I have a couple friends who perform missionary work to Haiti from their church in Tampa, FL several times a year. The pictures & stories that they bring back will make you cry and turn your stomach at the same time. The simple fact that these trucks continue to do what they were built to do makes me happy, There is probably just barely enough money to keep them running and no where near enough to maintain them. Had they never been exported they would have been scrapped. Everyone on this board and several other boards want every truck saved. Can't do it, there isn't enough disposable income in our society with the current economy so the next best thing to happen to these trucks is for them to live on doing what they are suppose to do in these less than desirable situations.

Like to see them stay here, but at least they are still around and not scrapped. You are kind of stuck here from really using them to go OTR or even as day runs. Fuel economy, Insurance because of age, EPA regs affect them especially at ports and a lot of companies look at an older truck and pass you over. My Marmon and R when it was whole were always targeted by DOT because of nothing more than age.(got to be something...they are old)

As for the Haitans, their government steals and controls everything...you know keep them poor and worrying about surviving the day so the leaders can do as they want.

And producing things here? Stop the free shit, stop teaching children that "real Americans" don't do manual labor.(school "career" counselor told my grandson the Americans don't become diesel mechanics...that is immigrant work!) Get the Feds, the lawyers, the NIMBY's and the Environmentalists off our backs and do what Americans do best!

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Old trucks are like old cars,you look back on the trucks just like you look back on the one (or ever how many) that "had I only know)!!

When I think of some of the trucks that I let go of , some to export others to someone just getting getting started in the trucking business.

One thing of which I am pretty certain is that some of the B's, Rd-Sx's,DM'S & OTHERS that I sold are probably still being used on the road somewhere in some third world country,instead of being driven down a road in the USA as part of the metal used in building some foreign car that we've imported! !!

• 2 weeks later...