Truckers I need advice!

tkobes43

I have a quote to move a crane boom it's 50ft long, 35000 lbs. it's only moving 2 miles from one side of the construction site to the other side. How would I go about securing it to my trailer? I have chains and binders just wondering what's the best way to secure it.

Here's a pic of the truck and trailer

Tom

post-8203-0-11696600-1358479695_thumb.jp

"Nothing Breaks Wind Like A Bulldog"

Longer than trailer, I think you have all the binders and chains you need to secure it, but you have to go slower than hell, even at 5 miles an hour it will only take less than half hour to get there. See wwhat these other guys have done in same situation, but you also don't want to damage boom, especially if you put it up on the deck over the 5th wheel. Will you're trailer handle thjat weight too?

RONCETTI

I was reserving comment that it may be time for you're rigging division to add a twin screw tractor to you're fleet or at least if you can get enough of this type of work to pay for it.

Well the fellow who called me just signed a contract down in north carolina for a oil pipeline... Ill add more details when and if i get the job... Crossing my fingers.

Tom

STRAPS ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you put a chain on it that is the easiest way to never get called back and they will unload you after chewing your ass out! 2 straps 1rst 10 feet by law 1 every 10 feet. I like a few more. Maybe 2 on the back. I would say 8 or 10 straps. Make sure not frayed. But 2 miles your call. Do it right the first time and you'll have less headaches. You might also need bridges to level it out. Get wood and make sure it levels and secure to deck

• Like 1

EXACTLY RIGHT SLPWLKER, I HAD A 4 SPINDLE BRIDGEPORT MILLING MACHINE BROUGHT BACK HERE FROM CT ONE TIME LIFTED ONTO THE TRUCK AND CHAINED DOWN WITH NO WOOD OR PADDING OF ANY KIND AFTER I GAVE THE GUY PADDING, WOOD AND LOT OF HEAVY RUBBER. SCREWED UP THE PAINT AND CHIPPED THE WAY EDGES. HE SAID ALL THE EXTRA THINGS WEREN'T NEEDED, LAST TIME I USED HIM.

RONCETTI

EXACTLY RIGHT SLPWLKER, I HAD A 4 SPINDLE BRIDGEPORT MILLING MACHINE BROUGHT BACK HERE FROM CT ONE TIME LIFTED ONTO THE TRUCK AND CHAINED DOWN WITH NO WOOD OR PADDING OF ANY KIND AFTER I GAVE THE GUY PADDING, WOOD AND LOT OF HEAVY RUBBER. SCREWED UP THE PAINT AND CHIPPED THE WAY EDGES. HE SAID ALL THE EXTRA THINGS WEREN'T NEEDED, LAST TIME I USED HIM.

Sounds like a modern day trucker they dont care and dont know if it doesnt concern them in their cab they have no clue about it, proper load securement and protecting the cargo, HA! I have seen some guys tear equipment up loading it and just shrug it off chain it down and pull on out, I watched one guy load one of our machines(spike driver), break the nippers(clamps the ties) off it chain it down and head out like it never happened, he didnt even try to hide it just took the broken parts and threw em on the machine. I get kinda ticked talking about this kind of stuff since Im the one that has to fix it after they break it and then there is no recourse they are back hauling something else a few days later. Oh the company is Best Specialized!

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

On another note you still got the milling machine working?

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

STRAPS ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you put a chain on it that is the easiest way to never get called back and they will unload you after chewing your ass out! 2 straps 1rst 10 feet by law 1 every 10 feet. I like a few more. Maybe 2 on the back. I would say 8 or 10 straps. Make sure not frayed. But 2 miles your call. Do it right the first time and you'll have less headaches. You might also need bridges to level it out. Get wood and make sure it levels and secure to deck

I was about to scream the same thing. Do not scratch a crane boom, no chipped paint means no rust, "Rust Bad" use straps, use thick rubber under the straps, conveyor belt type. Block your trailer up level and make the blocks wider then the boom, carpet them. I always strapped through the bottom of the booms not over the top, it's acording to how wide they are, these were 9 1/2 feet square by 40'. I used the 2" staps four, like slpwlkr says, every ten feet. Mine set up on blocks because we carried 2 20,000 lb counter weight under the boom. Hauled many booms up many old mountian trails and cross states to wind tower projects and they stayed on just fine. I know I am too late but maybe some help Tuesday.

• Like 1

Yes, only on special jobs, its a 4 spindle Bridgeport Tracer Mill like this one but with 2 more heads,attachicon.gifHPIM0795.JPG with chipped paint on ram and around ways behind the table.

HMMM, I have a lot of neat projects running thru my mind that could be useful for , Im too cheap to buy a good milling machine even though I know I would use it alot!

• Like 1

Hi superdog, That machine is all hydraulic, no screws, you can see the hydraulic pump to the left on the floor, you put a model or part under the stylus to the right of the heads and it copies it in 3 dimensions. For heavy work you probably need a big turret mill this size........Paul

RONCETTI

It was an overhead crane in doors all the time. I asked what they preferred and the said chains and binders over straps. I had corner protectors and put them under the chains... Everything went ok, I broke my landing gear handle, broke a bead on a trailer tire, got harassed by Randy :) JK!!!! But everything went well! Pics coming soon. If you like my face book page you've seen them already.

• Like 1

Thanks for compliment on equipment Vlad, all old line names, Bridgeport, South Bend, Brown & Sharp, Cincinnati, DoAll, Pratt &* Whitney, etc. Shame is, and I dont know how this government let it happen, several have filed bankruptsy and long gone, 10 to 20 years ago, Bridgeport, South Bend, Brown & Sharp, Pratt & Whitney to name a few.............Paul

RONCETTI