Chicago R models

We have them everywhere around here (Northern Illinois),mackman. It seems that about 10-15 years ago a few local farmers had bought some older Cummins powered (Jake equipped)road trucks,and put some younger farm kids in as drivers.As soon as they got these old "road whores",the first thing they would do was pull the mufflers off & put straight pipes on 'em (I'm not opposed to this,when driven right).Then they would run 'em like their Chevy,Dodge ,or Ford pickups on a Saturday night,and in the small quiet towns while going 35mph,felt the need to let everybody know they were here,by hitting their Jakes.Not everybody needed to know,and now we have signs in a bunch of towns around here.I've seen signs that read "NO ENGINE BRAKING" or "USE OF COMPRESSION BRAKES PROHIBITED".I think the most reasonable sign I've seen is "ENGINE BRAKING IN EMERGENCY ONLY". I think thats fair,as a former user of the Jake Brake (both of my MACKs had 'em). The argument has been around since the '60's when the Jake really hit the scene.When abused,its a problem.When used as NEEDED,it can be a life saving & brake saving tool for the truck owner. Agreed 100% ......... Beautiful R-Model pictures. I gotta go with the yellow and black tractor. Love that color combination. We had a huge redi mix company on LI that used that color combo for there dump trucks and trailers. They ran Rmodels and Superliners until they went to Peterbilts

Local 282 Union Service

You will see that type of sign around New England. Not alot, but here and there based on what the local gov. has to say.

Usually when you are coming into a small village. Some will say "Engine Brakes Prohibited" and some will be nice and say "Please No engine brakes".

I pass a sign on my daily commute to work that reads "Brake Retarders Prohibited".

I would hope so!

Jim

Might be a dumb question,not coming from a construction/dump background,but what kind of trailer is that? roll off?.................................................Mark
yea that's a roll off trailer. Waste management has some around here as well... I guess it's for larger or heavy dumpsters?

Your Chicago area R Model of the day belongs to...[img=http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gif] Commodity Transit -Deputy Dog.jpg The former Commodity Transit.This one is nicknamed "Deputy Dog"[img=http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gif] D D.jpg Brian Dhamer photo

For awhile in the 80's all of the Commodity trucks had a cartoon dog on the side of the hood. "Deputy Dog" is the only name I remember. Any ways it's name may have have Deputy Dog, but e everyone refered to it as Lil' Red . 300 and a 2 stick 6, doesn't get more Mack than that. -Brad

• Like 1

O.K. It's official, Brad, Trent, Al I've signed up at BMT to join all the fun. Everybody calls that truck Deputy Dog at work. It is parked at Garden Prairie in the shed now, but is just used and abused for a yard spotter. When I took these pictures I actually went over to it to close the door and roll up the windows because the guys at the elevator never do. I know its just a yard dog but they definitely treat it like dirt.--Brian

Awe shit, gotta watch what I say now. -Brad

Your Chicago area R of the day goes to ......post-510-0-32015000-1359989788_thumb.jpg Eagle Express,a U.S. Mail Carrier.This one was on display at the ATHS-South Bend,In., show back in 2011. Brian Dhamer photo

• Like 2

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

O.K. It's official, Brad, Trent, Al I've signed up at BMT to join all the fun. Everybody calls that truck Deputy Dog at work. It is parked at Garden Prairie in the shed now, but is just used and abused for a yard spotter. When I took these pictures I actually went over to it to close the door and roll up the windows because the guys at the elevator never do. I know its just a yard dog but they definitely treat it like dirt.--Brian

Welcome! I assume you are Brian Dhamer. I enjoyed looking at the photos you posted on that other site of the Macks your family has had over the years. Good to have you aboard.

• Like 1

Jim

Thanks Green Dash. Glad to be here. I had to join in on all the fast paced action of old Mack stories. We've switched

to be a brand X family nowadays but I grew up in the passenger side of an R-Model. I liked it so much I decided to drive

truck despite my Dad and Uncle's countless arguments against it. I guess I showed them. Aw crap, is it too late to be

a greeter at Wal-Mart?

Not bad looking Petes

HAd a beautiful R Pass me this morning with a stacked up stick wagon in Lufkin,Tx. Seen him coming up all lit up like a christmas tree.Was fumbling for the phone and no pic. Will be on the lookout next time I go thru there.

Thanks Green Dash. Glad to be here. I had to join in on all the fast paced action of old Mack stories. We've switched

to be a brand X family nowadays but I grew up in the passenger side of an R-Model. I liked it so much I decided to drive

truck despite my Dad and Uncle's countless arguments against it. I guess I showed them. Aw crap, is it too late to be

a greeter at Wal-Mart?

If I can drive a Volvo, you can certainly drive a Pete.

It was riding in the shotgun seat ( or milk crate) of R and U models that got me hooked on this nonsense also. I rode with my Dad in many brands of trucks but the first rides were in Macks. They quickly became my favorites long before I knew the legacy behind the Mack name.

My Dad actually encouraged me to get into trucking because he'd never seen me show so much enthusiasm toward anything they way I did when I was around trucks.

• Like 2

Jim