AC Mack Tool Kit

Got this info from Don at Mack. The tools that came with it less the 12inch monkey wrench, a 7/8 inch spark plug socket and bar, a large Philips screw driver, a large flat blade screw driver, a small 4 to 6 ounce ball peen hammer and a pair of pliers. Most are made by the Niagara Forge Co and Leslie Tool Co. Hope the info helps my fellow AC owners. Paul

acmacktools.jpg

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Interesting picture and details.

Most of the wrenches I have collected are Billings or Williams with the "Mack" on them in script. The hammers and pliers don't say anything than 'Mack".

Some of them are the "S" style wrench.

A couple of screwdrivers have wood handles and the Mack is on there with some sort of ink stamp in script.

I think most of mine are from the E model or early L, late 30's to 40's.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

only one of them that look familiar to me is the top one.Are the all marked Mack?

Mack Museum says Mack Script on one side and the other has either Leslie , Niagara or Peerless on it depending on year and contract lot. After 1933 Mack drop forged most of their own tools til WWII.

This gives me an idea what to search for at Hersey and other swap meets. I always look for "pig iron" tools for trucks and Indian motor cycles. This is the first time I actually know what is in the full AC tool kit. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Interesting subject,i have an "S" shaped wrench like the last picture posted that was supposedly in the tool kit that came with my grandfathers AK. Only difference i see is that mine does not say "Mack" on it,but does have the old "IM" (International Motors Co.) insignia stamped on it,anyone seen one of those?.....................................Mark

• Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

AC Macks had the IM letters on the hood til the end, The International Motor Company was reorganized in 1916 and the Mack Truck Company was created as a holding comp[any for the I.M.C. and Sauer brands.

Those tools marked IM are early 1916 or older.

Like I said I hit the PIG Iron venders at swap meets and also farm sales and auctions. Reason being is most tool set ended up in the shop or barn for general use and almost never stayed with the truck is it was to be sold or put out to pasture. Now at least I know basically what I need to find for my AC's.

When I looked for the tool set for my 1941 Chevrolet, I found the same style pliers and ball peen hammer under my parents sink. My pops tool box was loaded with Ford script tools from the 20's, 30's and 40's too.

Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

post-61-0-85792600-1354322715_thumb.jpg

1 # 45 Williams,2 # 41 Williams

post-61-0-07467800-1354322801_thumb.jpg

3 # 37 Williams

post-61-0-86538600-1354322844_thumb.jpg

1 #37 Bonney,1 Mack Monkey wrench-no maker marks,1 Mack valve tool- no maker marks

post-61-0-65796900-1354323001_thumb.jpg

1 # 37 Williams,1 # 83A Williams,2 # 81A Wiliams

post-61-0-41831900-1354323089_thumb.jpg

1 Mack valve tool,2 Mack pliers,no maker marks

post-61-0-37157200-1354323180_thumb.jpg

2 #633 Bonney,1 # 828S Bonney,3 # 79S Bonney

post-61-0-90064300-1354323258_thumb.jpg

1 #79S marked with Triangle with B in center ,2 #75 marked same,3 #75 williams

post-61-0-41287700-1354323386_thumb.jpg

Mack toolbox #1

post-61-0-33479300-1354323426_thumb.jpg

Mack toolbox #2

Not pictured is my Mack ball peen hammer

Mike, how many are AC specific? Some of the ones in Dons photo are for chain drive adjustment and trans axle service and ? The wood tool box is neat, know what year it is? Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

I honestly don't know which if any are AC wrenches,I'm like you,been buying them at flea markets,swap meets,auctions,and Ebay.They are all marked with the Mack script.The wood box is just an old wood box someone stuck a AB emblem on years ago.I've got a lid from an old Mack firetruck storage box with an aluminum insert I'm going to make a box out of someday.

• 3 years later...

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, however I was digging through my tools and came across 2 monkey wrenches.  They look pretty much exactly like the two in the first picture of post 5 this thread.  The little one has "MACK" (including the quotes) stamped into the head in block letters.  The larger one has a logo that might be the lakeside 'dogbone' logo, it's seen a lot of use as a hammer for sure.

I suspect I had at one point or another all of the tools pictured in this thread as well as others, the monkey wrenches are the only tools I kept (sold the lot to a collector in Ohio before we moved to Reno).

I was hoping to learn more about these.

I'd also be willing to sell for a fair price (whatever that is, can't imagine they're worth all that much).   There's nobody else in the family that would really be interested, and the only reason I kept them was so I could show someone what a monkey wrench really looks like.  I'd probably like to keep the little one, unless it's worth a lot ;-)

Edited by bdzero

4 hours ago, bdzero said:

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, however I was digging through my tools and came across 2 monkey wrenches.  They look pretty much exactly like the two in the first picture of post 5 this thread.  The little one has "MACK" (including the quotes) stamped into the head in block letters.  The larger one has a logo that might be the lakeside 'dogbone' logo, it's seen a lot of use as a hammer for sure.

I suspect I had at one point or another all of the tools pictured in this thread as well as others, the monkey wrenches are the only tools I kept (sold the lot to a collector in Ohio before we moved to Reno).

I was hoping to learn more about these.

I'd also be willing to sell for a fair price (whatever that is, can't imagine they're worth all that much).   There's nobody else in the family that would really be interested, and the only reason I kept them was so I could show someone what a monkey wrench really looks like.  I'd probably like to keep the little one, unless it's worth a lot ;-)

Can you post a few photos?   Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE