jump starting positive ground vehicle

dek1581

yes just use the positive on the positive terminal and the negative on the negative terminal on the battery and the powered vehicle doesnt know that the non powered vehicle is positive ground, 12V D.C. is still 12V D.C. positive or negative ground. If its a 24V vehicle that becomes more of a challenge and involves removing the ground cable from the powered battery ( vehicle wont be running) and applying the jumper cables to the 24V battery side( this is using two pairs of 12V 31S950 batteries in series to make 24V) actually what you are doing is just adding CCA's to the batteries that are on the truck, if they are completely dead I have never been able to make it happen(not for lack of trying).

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Not likely to happen but make sure the vehicles are not contacting each other.

good point, if they were and the cables were hooked it could make a neat light show, and some welding noises in the cantact area. (not likely on newer plastic bumper crap)

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

yes just use the positive on the positive terminal and the negative on the negative terminal on the battery and the powered vehicle doesnt know that the non powered vehicle is positive ground, 12V D.C. is still 12V D.C. positive or negative ground. If its a 24V vehicle that becomes more of a challenge and involves removing the ground cable from the powered battery ( vehicle wont be running) and applying the jumper cables to the 24V battery side( this is using two pairs of 12V 31S950 batteries in series to make 24V) actually what you are doing is just adding CCA's to the batteries that are on the truck, if they are completely dead I have never been able to make it happen(not for lack of trying).

like i said before never tried this...so if there are two batteries side by side in series to make 24v, put one cable on positive(red) of one battery and other cable on negative (black) of other battery? and why are you disconnecting negative cable (to ground) of jumper battery? always jumped vehicles with engine running but if this is better way fine...

like i said before never tried this...so if there are two batteries side by side in series to make 24v, put one cable on positive(red) of one battery and other cable on negative (black) of other battery? and why are you disconnecting negative cable (to ground) of jumper battery? always jumped vehicles with engine running but if this is better way fine...

ok is the truck 12v or 24v, i get that its positive ground and to jump a positive ground 12v truck you just need to put pos to pos neg to neg on the batteries, to jump 24v positive ground it gets tricky at best with a 12v vehicle if its doable at all. The reason to disconnect the neg on the powered vehicle (12v) when trying to jump a 24v is so that the 24v vehicle doesnt fry your 12v system when it starts. best to go get a jump box that does both 12 and 24v I have one and it works great.

ok is the truck 12v or 24v, i get that its positive ground and to jump a positive ground 12v truck you just need to put pos to pos neg to neg on the batteries, to jump 24v positive ground it gets tricky at best with a 12v vehicle if its doable at all. The reason to disconnect the neg on the powered vehicle (12v) when trying to jump a 24v is so that the 24v vehicle doesnt fry your 12v system when it starts. best to go get a jump box that does both 12 and 24v I have one and it works great.

thanks for the info!