Modern Mack clutch cables keep a spare

I have an 05 cxn613 but I'm sure all newer Macks use the same clutch cable.

Yesterday, going through Dover I pushed the clutch and the cable broke, so had to continue to Dover AFB with no clutch, made it to rt 1 and then the off ramp, over the bridge back onto 1 north and into the gate, I hollard to the security guards, NO CLUTCH and they moved and I went through where there was room to work on it. Luckily the previous owner had a new spare in the truck so I changed it out and was able to make the load for the day.

This is a common thing with the new clutch cables and I see why now that I have changed one. They are a braided steel cable that is pushed not pulled when the pedal is depressed. This causes the strands to expand every time the clutch is used and that isn't often with me.They break right at the clevis they go into at the pedal. The previous owner had changed a few, so he always kept a spare as will I. Maybe it something to think about. Mine is air assist, I don't know if they have a mechanical rod type clutch anymore.

Huh....must be a Volvo thing? Might have to double check, but I thought my '01 pulled on the cable. I haven't had any issues with mine, so I'd guess it's a pull-type. What sort of college edumacated dimwit thought it'd be a good idea to have a push cable? Probably the same one that thought it'd be a great idea to position the coolant drain petcock directly over the axle so you can't easily place a bucket under to catch what you're draining. I'm guessing their cousin works at Dodge, because my fiance's Ram 1500 had the drain petcock directly above the frame rail. An inch or 2 to either side and it would have been fine...but no, gotta make sure it splashes all over the friggin place!

I thought engineers were supposed to be smart! No common sense at all with that bunch. :unsure:

• Like 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Huh....must be a Volvo thing? Might have to double check, but I thought my '01 pulled on the cable. I haven't had any issues with mine, so I'd guess it's a pull-type. What sort of college edumacated dimwit thought it'd be a good idea to have a push cable? Probably the same one that thought it'd be a great idea to position the coolant drain petcock directly over the axle so you can't easily place a bucket under to catch what you're draining. I'm guessing their cousin works at Dodge, because my fiance's Ram 1500 had the drain petcock directly above the frame rail. An inch or 2 to either side and it would have been fine...but no, gotta make sure it splashes all over the friggin place!

I thought engineers were supposed to be smart! No common sense at all with that bunch. :unsure:

LOL, a college with a common sence class might take some people a long ways

I have Found over the years that engineers are never satisfide they are all ways seeking ways to reinvent the wheel even if there isn't a problem ,in this case to over complicate the simple ,a simple cable worked fine so lets add an air cyl to make it more unreliable.The 18 speed trans when behind a high hp engine has an " updated" tail shaft that shaft ALWAYS comes loose Didn't come loose before the update Why did we fix it! Only they know for sure ,OR Do they? Fact of life I guess!

...kind of like a government regulator. If they aren't making changes to something, there is no justification for their job to even exist.

I am a retired engineer and yes companies are always pushing for something "newer" and "cheaper". Of course new government regulations "force" alot of new technology (but not necessarily better technology).

• Like 1

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"