Cheaper Clutches rather than Dealer Price?

Keffer inc

Hello, I have a 1994 Mack CH613 with the E7-350 motor and 9 speed Mack transmission. I got a quote from Tidewater Mack Inc (Chesapeake, VA) and the part number for the clutch I need is "MK 2104-20892551" and costs $890.00; according to what the computer says from plugging in my VIN number. I don't think that is really over-priced being new and all, but I'm not running my own buisness yet, so while I'm a company driver supporting a family, $900 is huge for us. I was hoping someone might know of a cheaper source (new or rebuilt, either is fine for just getting on the road). TIA

Edited by Keffer inc

i have a 99 613 with a 460 and mack 13 converted to the 18 speed it has been my experiance after replaceing my clutch for the second time at aproxamatly 387 days after the first clutch to BUY WHAT MACK RECOMENDS my first aftermarket clutch was $900 the one i purchased from mack was $1180 and i had to drive 6 hours one way to get the clutch i wanted at price the closer ones wanted $1400

I think that's kinda high but then again, I rarely get into the pricing side at work. Judging from the monthly sales flyer from the dealership I work at, the clutches range from $350-750 for reman and new Eaton clutches. For example, a reman 15.5 easy pedal clutch w/exchange is $463.Rarely do we install new clutches unless requested by the customer.

2104-20892551 should be a new clutch. Do yourself a favor and buy the new clutch. Even Eaton's (Spicer's) own remans don't hold a candle to the lifespan of a new clutch. In the long run, you'll actually "save" downtime and money. The new clutch in a new truck typically lasts a long time. But when you swing to the path of remans, the clutch life is dramatially shorter. And, there's a noticeable difference in performance (engagement) too. Think about it.

The most important point for you to realize is the disc dampening design. This Eaton (Spicer) clutch is a Mack specific design that incorporates a unique "coaxially" dampened 9-spring disc design. It's different from the ordinary dampened 15.5" Spicer clutch at a parts store. The ordinary clutch will mount up, but it won't give you the same durability and performance. Ask Lynn at Tidewater. He can explain more about it.

2104-20892551 should be a new clutch. Do yourself a favor and buy the new clutch. Even Eaton's (Spicer's) own remans don't hold a candle to the lifespan of a new clutch. In the long run, you'll actually "save" downtime and money. The new clutch in a new truck typically lasts a long time. But when you swing to the path of remans, the clutch life is dramatially shorter. And, there's a noticeable difference in performance (engagement) too. Think about it.

The most important point for you to realize is the disc dampening design. This Eaton (Spicer) clutch is a Mack specific design that incorporates a unique "coaxially" dampening 9-spring disc design. It's different from the ordinary dampened 15.5" Spicer clutch at a parts store. The ordinary clutch will mount up, but it won't give you the same durability and performance. Ask Lynn at Tidewater. He can explain more about it.

Which means in just over 1 year of normal use you will blow the springs out of it and your supplier will claim driver abuse. Which also means you will be out 2 k if you do it yourself or approximately 5k if you have it done. Also factor in all the hardware that operates the clutch the linkage/cable all the bushings and the other crap down there.

I've been beating my brains out trying to find the cheapest new clutch that will work on my truck. I think I have a T2090 transmission. Shift pattern is: lo, 1, 2, 3, flip to high 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 The best price I've seen so far is from Tidewater Fleet Supply SS108935-51 is for around $580 without a core return, they don't take self adjusting clutches which I think mine is. I've been looking nationally on the web. Does anyone have anyone they favor?

My friend, there's no reason to beat you brains out. The proper clutch for your truck is the 2104-20892551. Don't waste time at Tidewater Fleet Supply (formerly Tidewater Battery). The SS108935-51 is a reman brand called D and W Clutch, right? I hate to see you waste your money on a reman that will only give you half the life of a new clutch. There's a vast quality difference between the new Eaton (Spicer) and the reman.

Some great people at Tidewater Fleet Supply, but only a Mack dealer (Tidewater Mack) is going to stock the Mack-specific clutch that you need (the 2104-20892551). The other option would be to call Virginia Truck Center in Richmond for a price. $890 is not a bad price for a new Mack-spec Eaton (Spicer) clutch that's going to see you through for many years (if you have good driving habits).

Ordinarily, I'd rather see you get the self-adjusting "Solo Advantage" (2104-20970151). But I understand your budget is tight, so the manual adjusting "Easy Pedal Advantage" (2104-20892551) is better for you.

As for Solo clutches. Nearly everyone in our area (N.E. Indiana, N.W. Ohio & Southern Michigan) has gone away from the solo and gone to the easy pedal. The solo's are prone to freezing up and not adjusting as they are suppose to leading to early failure. We don't even stock solo's anymore.

Yup go easy pedal don't buy reman , Dont buy solo end of story!

to far to back up when things go fubar!

Yup go easy pedal don't buy reman , Dont buy solo end of story!

to far to back up when things go fubar!

you can get the high tourq clutch 6 paddel threw virgina truck center at a very good price go easy pedel no self adjuster the new eatons even have the grease fittings for the mack

20892551 is a 9 spring clutch designed to meet Mack's torsional vibration requirements. Will fits are available but not recomended if you want to protect your entire drive line! Stick with the 9 springs! (I think 6 paddle is 20892561)

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

• 2 weeks later...

Not trying to start a fight here but, I don't see what the problem is with the Spicer reman clutch. In the almost 20 years I've twisted wrenches for the same dealership, we have always installed reman clutches unless otherwise requested. The majority of our customer base is oil field and clutches usually fail because of lack of maintenance- new or reman. If the job is done right and the clutch is maintained it should give many years of trouble free service. Just my $.02

• Like 1

Not trying to start a fight here but, I don't see what the problem is with the Spicer reman clutch. In the almost 20 years I've twisted wrenches for the same dealership, we have always installed reman clutches unless otherwise requested. The majority of our customer base is oil field and clutches usually fail because of lack of maintenance- new or reman. If the job is done right and the clutch is maintained it should give many years of trouble free service. Just my $.02

I have used many reman clutch and not all of then fron eaton.The main problem with clutches is many drivers dont know when to adjust and when to grease them.Then they come in a year later and its never had grease in them.

glenn akers

• 2 weeks later...