North West Diesel & Refrigeration, former Mack dealer in St. Cloud MN

Anyone familiar with North West Diesel of St. Cloud Minnesota? It's my understanding that they were once a Mack dealership (until the 1970's?) but lost their franchise though continue to service Mack trucks to this day. I went there this morning but the gate was closed so I may try again next weekend in order to get a brake treadle valve assembly for my C600. While there, I photographed two Mack cab over trucks behind the fence. Can anyone identify the model and years of these trucks?

Notice the signage on the building stating "Central Minnesota's Unauthorized Mack Service". The building looks the same as it did 28 years ago when my dad had a C600 Mack in need of parts, although they still had a ThermoKing franchise at that time.

10-13-2012%2520001.JPG

10-13-2012%2520002.JPG

10-13-2012%2520004.JPG

10-13-2012%2520003.JPG

first ones a H63,2nd is a W71.I've got pics somewhere of that same W71 in the brush somewhere.

Can you tell me the approximate years of manufacture of each? Does the H-series share a cab with the L-series conventional trucks? I spoke to the owner of this business last Saturday but I didnt have my old brake treadle valve with, so I told him that I would return with it. I hope to speak to him again as I would like to ask more questions about the history of this place.

yup, W model is RARE!. Bob theimer use to have one in Bainbridge Ny. dunno who ended up with it after the auction and he died. i was there and remember Gary Mahan i think flying up with his helicopter, bought a few rare turcks like the white cabover BX or whatever he has then leavin.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I'll ask the owner if they are for sale and how much he would want for them. He may have some more old Macks out back behind the building though the yard is looking a bit empty from the road, maybe I can get a tour of the back lot. I recall 28 years ago he had what I believe was an LT Mack (long nose hood, similar looking to a Peterbilt or Kenworth) sitting just behind where these cabovers sit. Back then there was another entrance into the yard and one would drive right by the truck. It was painted red & white and appeared to be the prized truck in his yard. I'll ask him what became of it.

Walked through there a few years back when it wasn't all fenced in, they had a bunch of B, L, C, etc. models back then. Been by a few times in the last few years when they were closed and the gate locked, from what I could see seemed like a lot less old trucks back there.

I suppose with the metal reclamation yard just a block away that some of them may have been melted down when the price of scrap metal was way high. Lets hope that someone rescued them.

I stopped in at North West Diesel this afternoon and visited with Arlen (the owner of the establishment) for a short time and gave him the brake pedal & valve assembly to my 1964 C600 as he will do a search for a used replacement when he gets time. I asked him what years he had the Mack franchise and he said from 1973 until the mid 1980's. He lost his franchise because Mack insisted that he build a new dealership along the main highway which he did not want to do. When I return there, I will ask for a tour of his yard with my camera in hand (if he allows me to).

• 3 weeks later...