Mack 673 questions.

suprmn

I have done a significant amount of searching and cannot find answers to these questions.

Truck is a 1961 B613T, 673 with a quadraplex,

Does anyone have valve adjustment specs and procedures for a 673? I purchased a book that says to do it with the motor running. My preference would be to do with the motor off, so I am hoping there is an alternate procedure.

I have been looking for rebuild kits for this motor and the only think I can find says "maxidyne convereted" Does anyone have any idea what that means?

I am starting to see many posts that recommend not rebuilding this engine. I just purchased the truck and have not completely assessed the motor, I do know it is not the original motor to the truck, at least that is what the last owner said. But the blowby is pretty high and it was a working truck so I think the motor is tired. I am working on a restoration, but it will be as a personal toy for me more than trying to make it period correct. I would consider an upgrade in motor if it made sense. What would be the recommended motor for replacement?

I would like to convert this to spin on oil filters. Any suggestions for a kit to do this?

Thank You for your thoughts.

As far as the valve adjustment goes the specs. used to be Intake .016" cold static or .014 hot running

Exhaust .024 cold static or .022 hot running

The trick is there are no marks on the dampener to set the valves statically.

I used to use a belt that I made up that would slip snugly around the dampener with three lines marked on it spaced 120 degrees apart from one another.

After barring the engine over by hand and watching the injection timing marks on the flywheel I would set the motor at T.D.C. on #1 cylinder.

I would then slip my belt on the dampener and using a magnetic dial indicator base on the timing gear cover move the belt and base till they would line up with each other.

Now you have marks to set the valves with.

Start setting the valves with #1 where you are at to start with then bar engine 120 degrees in normal rotation (clockwise looking from front) to next mark and

set valves on #5 and continue on in firing order 1-5-3-6-2-4.

Ron

I have done a significant amount of searching and cannot find answers to these questions.

Truck is a 1961 B613T, 673 with a quadraplex,

Does anyone have valve adjustment specs and procedures for a 673? I purchased a book that says to do it with the motor running. My preference would be to do with the motor off, so I am hoping there is an alternate procedure.

I have been looking for rebuild kits for this motor and the only think I can find says "maxidyne convereted" Does anyone have any idea what that means?

I am starting to see many posts that recommend not rebuilding this engine. I just purchased the truck and have not completely assessed the motor, I do know it is not the original motor to the truck, at least that is what the last owner said. But the blowby is pretty high and it was a working truck so I think the motor is tired. I am working on a restoration, but it will be as a personal toy for me more than trying to make it period correct. I would consider an upgrade in motor if it made sense. What would be the recommended motor for replacement?

I would like to convert this to spin on oil filters. Any suggestions for a kit to do this?

Thank You for your thoughts.

Here is the way to set valves on a 673 and manual will show it. Turn engine and i always jack one wheel up and put trans in high gear and have some one bump the wheel over when cold and set watching mating cyl and valve over lap. As exhaust valve closes and intake just starts to open is top dead center so its mating cyl is ready. ! and 6 is mating 2 and 5 3 and 4 is mating. Firing order is 153624. Specs is same as all six cyl makes.

glenn akers

B613T would have originally had a END673T in it. would have been turbocharged. most early turbo engines didnt last long tho i have been told. if your END673 now is tired and needs rebuilding your best bet would be to find an ENDT675 or 237 as we all call them. you would need some parts and pulleys from your old engine but its basically an easy swap and you would gain the spin on filters to boot. the 675 is made for a 5 or 6 speed transmission but the quad will work as long as you dont hotrod it.

• Like 1

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Alot of old mack mechanics when i was working for mack tought you had to set them running but that was not so. Mac tools at that time made a spring loaded jumping screw driver just for that. And on top of that a feeler gauge didnt last long. I have did it also.

I have a Mac jumping screwdriver, anyone interested??

Ron

I have a Mac jumping screwdriver, anyone interested??

Ron

I have one that is 45 years old but the spring is broke and just for fun i ask the mac tool man if it was still under warranty.It took about 5 weeks but mac told him it was not ever sold by them.I tryed to use it when i was young but could bot see no reason.

glenn akers