Junkyard trip

It's really hard to tell,Mack made few changes on those and called them different models,I'm thinking the LMU also looked similiar.Best way is to check for a VIN on the frame.

The grill and turn indicators match the early 40's LMU / LJU, but like Mike says check the Vin.

1st from Hanks in Brooklyn in the 1990s! The rest from my Mack archives. Paul

post-3242-0-63485900-1349142434_thumb.jp

post-3242-0-29451300-1349142435.jpg

post-3242-0-13280100-1349142436_thumb.jp

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

the truck in the junkyard i saw had the V in the middle of the bumper like the Ch's and the EB's in the Mack books i have seen. its hard to tell them apart as Mike said between the LMU and CH and Cj and EB. the only difference i see is the grille is longer on some and the bumpers are V's in the middle . this one also has a newer overhead valve engine in it to that i think someone replaced the original flathead with. i called the guy twice today, got voicemail, left a message. waitin for a call back. im for sure on one thing, he knows what he has and no one is gonna walk in and steal these gems and make a killin on them. i made sure in my message i told him i was a collector and tryin to save them. prolly wont make a difference. im tryin to figure a price on the FH. anyone have an estimate? if he is way out of line on it im at least gonna try to save the little cabover.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

dodgeman, the trailer is a really early hydraulic detach gooseneck i think. it started with an S, the name, something id never heard of before. Spaten or something? didnt look it over too well, its been sittin there a while and is currently the resting place for about 500 windshields that they have taken out of the junk cars over the years. if it was a hardnose Fruehauf or fontaine single axle, id be all over it as they seem to be scarce with the price of scrap going up. was at an auction few weeks ago where a solid nose 1960 Rogers tandem axle that needed a complete restoration, new wood, tires, brakes, sandblastin and lights and didnt have any ramps, i walked away when the price got over $1700.

I'm shure you need to deal for F.

Cabover is nice and rare also.

I'm not a master of a trade to the States but think the price resonable to start is scrap+, maybe +50% or more.

Vlad

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Guest 45LMSWM

The Mack cab-over is definitely an LMU, former Premium Coal Corp. truck # 72. Premium ran a fleet of former Burns Bros LMUs up until the mid 1980s in NYC, all with original Garwood scissor hoist coal bodies. We have truck 85 here in NJ, which is a 1949.

This is probably a 1947 or earlier. Truck # 75 was LMU1D1280 and was still in existance a few years back. The color pic of # 71 was taken outside of Allentown, PA, in the late 1980s by my brother, Dave Pearson. The grainy b & w picture in the center was taken in Macungie around 1993 or so. I cannot remember the unit number. Truck was for sale at the time. It had been parked next to my brother's # 85 for a time outside of Allentown at the same location as # 71.

The LMUs purchased new by Burns Bros. had the EN510 when delivered, which explains the overhead valve engine. Early LMUs had the push out windows.

-John

post-1829-0-11227700-1349218578_thumb.jp

Guest 45LMSWM

im tryin to figure a price on the FH. anyone have an estimate? if he is way out of line on it im at least gonna try to save the little cabover.

The FH up there in Ballston Lake is pretty well known. He DROVE IT to the ATHS Convention in Buffalo years back. I know he has more than a few offers for the truck over the past decade + as the F-models are quite sought after.

The last (3) F-models I can recall being sold went at the Dick Kemp auction, an FN and a pair of FWs. If memory serves me correctly, all (3) went for over $ 25,000. One of the FWs had not been running in decades.

This FH was one of 10 purchased new by Johnson Construction of Minneapolis, MN.

-John

yea, called him, twice, left a message, probably thinks im a tire kicker. probably way out of my budget but i believe the new owner is not the same guy who drove it to the convention.truck has nor ran or even moved in many many years. never had a fifth wheel on it and only has the capstand winch which makes me believe it was used in some shipyard to move barges around. the LMU i guess you call it is different from the picture but only as far as the bumper. it does have the tip out windows but this truck had the V in the middle of the bumper to clear the crank hole in the grille.