B61LT Title and Registration in WI

Good morning. I am finially getting around to restoring a 1956 B61LT that I purchased from a guy in the north woods of Wisconsin years prior. It was the last item in an estate sale of his late father and nobody knew where or if it had been titled in recent years. The price was right and I purchased it anyway. Now, while starting to restore, I thought I would at least attempt to title it under my name. After contacting the Wisconsin DMV, I was told, bluntly, that I could never re-title this vehicle in wisconsin without the original title and it would have to be used for parts only. As much as I love the DMV and being told I cant do something, I am bound and determined to stick it to them somehow.

My question is: do I purchase a title and vin number from some scrap yard, if so who, where and how much should it cost?

Or I was thinking that I could title and register it under Hobbiest plates, as being a home built unit. I have recently seen Wisconsin hobbiest plates on one or two old semi tractors at the local truck and show. I am just restoring it to take to local shows, and have fun burning fuel and bellowing black smoke.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

post-665-0-61475800-1348672024_thumb.jpg

There is a company in VT who will register the truck in VT in your name. You can then use that to title it in your state. My uncle just did that with a motorcycle he has. I have to get the info on it for you.

There is also a company called broadway title services in Alabama who can get you a title for the truck in Alabama then "sell" the truck to you so you can put it in your name.

I think that it can be titled and you were given bad information - which is not unusual in a situation like this. Try again using a different source.

See if the DMV can trace it by the serial number or by the name of the previous owner. Did it have plates on it? Contact the seller and ask them if they know who the owner purchased it from.

I would talk to a supervisor at the DMV I am sure you can get a bonded title or equivilqnt with the bill of sale or statment from the estate auction. If you want to spend $500 check these guys out they do what they say. http://www.getnewtitle.com/wisconsin-lost-car-title-vehicle-title-replacement-service.html

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Tom

Please go to the ATHS site (aths.org) they currently have a topic going about titles and gives you the name and address of a company in Maine who can register it in Maine, where the registration is proof of ownership on older vehicles, then sell it back to you with the proper paperwork for Wisc to issue you at title.

Brocky

Brocky

Don't give up. Folks around the country drag cars and trucks home that have not been registered for years and some how get them registered. As others have suggested try to utilize one of the title restorations companies on the Internet, but do your research before you spend the money. Good luck. By the way my first truck came from Connecticut to Wisconsin with no title and only a bill of sale. I went to the DMV and they looked in a master DMV book, noted that vehicles of a certain age did not require registration in Connecticut and therefore no title. Wisconsin DMV Honored Connecticut policy and issued me a title without a problem. Unfortunately the truck was to far gone to restore so I stripped it of every last valuable part and scrapped the rest.

Trenton