laser level advice

Deere Mack

My favorite self leveler is Bosch. I use it pretty regular on house pads and such, and its never had a down moment. Its good on batteries too. You can get a package deal (stick, tripod, and all) for bout around 7 or 8 hundred. randyp

Thanks randyp, I've read good veviews on Bosch. Do you have to have your calibrated often? I'm not planning on playing football with it or anything...

No, it should never need calibrating. A laser is gonna squirt out in a straight line regardless of anything. If anything, be more careful with the detector, its what gets dropped or throwed around the most since its mounted on the stick.. The Bosch will come in a hard case with a place for everything, and its a well built case also. I have broken a coupla detectors, but they dont cost all that much to replace. randyp

we have several detectors and that gives you a chance to compare once in awhile to insure that they all read the same. we will commonly have one laseer set and maybe two crews using the beam. a good test in the field is to set laser and take readings, turn off laser, spin 180 degrees, turn on and recheck heights to see if they match. aj

I researched the one I wanted and bought it new on ebay and saved a bunch of $$$$ I bought a Johnson Control http://www.johnsonlevel.com/productDetail.asp?cat=Rotary+Laser+Levels&ID=17&pID=65 called and registered it for warranty and I have never took it anywhere to get calibrated and I think it said somewhere it didnt need it. my 2 $ent$ BTW I bought it for grading but have also used it inside.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

we have several detectors and that gives you a chance to compare once in awhile to insure that they all read the same. we will commonly have one laseer set and maybe two crews using the beam. a good test in the field is to set laser and take readings, turn off laser, spin 180 degrees, turn on and recheck heights to see if they match. aj

We just look for a large pond with still water and check to see if the water is level.

• Like 1

ITs a difficult job, ifn waters not sitting level, you have to drain pond and get motor grader on bottom and smooth it up nice and level. Ifn the bottoms not flat, water wont sit flat. i dont know how yall has ever made it on here without my scientific advice and thesis. Dr, randyp

• 3 weeks later...

taking the operating out of operating with all this laser level stuff. Back when I was still operating it was all eyeball

taking the operating out of operating with all this laser level stuff. Back when I was still operating it was all eyeball

Yeah, my eyeballs have cost me a lot of extra hours pushing, I dont trust em anymore. If laser goes down, I just get a big dip of snuff, and watch for steady dribble out both corners of mouth, steady, even dribbles. randyp
  • Like 1