58 B61 Fuel Filter

tilynb61

Have had the truck a while and am thinking I should change the fuel filter. I don't have a manual but I am assuming it is in the can on the R/H forward side of the engine compartment Anyone know what filter it uses? I don't want to open it up until I have what I need to change it out.

Like this:

SDC10200.jpg

I'll agree with Randy, as I'd have to go out and look at my stockpile to see what the part number is I run.

Get ready to make a mess, there is a plug in the bottom/side to allow you to drain it. There is a thick cardboard gasket under the top nut when you unscrew it. Remove the top line, then unscrew nut. It's spring loaded, so it will pop up and drool fuel down the sides as the lid come loose.

After a couple replacements later, that gasket fell apart and leaked like a siv. I dismantled the fiting and replaced it with something comparable.

Clean out the bottom if there is anything. Watch, as my original canister was packed with crud and when I tried to scrape it out, the canister was rusty and I poked a hole in it(DOH!!!). Lucky I was able to get another canister from previous owner that had parts. Thinking back, I should have just removed it. I have a nice separator style filter mounted next to drivers tank to "pre filter" it. Now this canister hardly gets anything in it.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

yea, mine has long since been removed and the previous owner cobified a holder from the older band clamp and bracket to bolt a new Mack spin on filter housin to. it works and it solid but looks rough, i never changed it but it work and now take the newer style green Mack fuel filter

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Follow Larrys advice and be careful with canister. I usually take plumbing loose and take my whole canister off so i can give it a good cleaning. When re-installing top, push down on spring loaded lid to keep it from turning so you dont cut or split gasket while tightening bolt. randyp

Oh, ya, forgot about the o-ring. Yup, hold top down firmly and snug the nut down(not too tight, remember that paper gasket).

I thought mine was "taken care of" when I bought it. Finally one day it started to not run well and would not hold speed on the highway. I took it home and pulled the filter out. Holey toledo.........it hadn't been changed in a couple centuries. Thus all the crud. Once I chipped the crud out, the bottom had rotted away and the crud was holding it together(and not leaking) LOL!!!

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"