Speedo cable and a few other questions for the experts

fauthpk

Would like to get some more speed out of my little B20. Took it to a show and had a top speed of 40mph and she was screaming. Currently it has a TR 72 transmission. Would it be possible to change rear end gears? Not looking for a rocket ship. Just want to lower rpms.

Anyone know where I can get a replacement speedometer cable. Working on getting th gauges working this summer.

Thank you in advance

Pete

Nice looking B Model ya got Pete. Wish I could help. It is strange to me here in Nashville that I found a shop that makes the speedo cables. They are an electrical shop that sells starters, batteries, cables for trucks. What is strange is they make speedo cables also. A&B Auto Truck Repair Inc. 1201 Foster Ave. Nashville, TN. 37210 phone# 615-259-4454. You may have a shop near you that can help more than me.

Regards

mike

pretty odd if your little B20 has a 72 series transmission. should have a little 4 speed spicer or a TR77 series of something. if you could find a double overdrive baby quad it would probably bolt right in . not certain but if it has a single reduction rear end the housin is different on the inside and doesnt have the supports for a double reduction hogs head to bolt in. the hogs head is made to fit in the housing tightliy with the supports on the sides of the bearing cages and they fit against the housing. not that it matters but im thinkin higher gear hogs head might be scarce for that.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Could probably install a later model Spicer 6+1 trans out of a medium duty International also. They had a pretty fair overdrive with a low gearset.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I'm working with a screen printer for electronic replacement head assemblies. These are to look original from the outside, but modern on the inside. I'm running into trouble getting bezels stamped cost effective at this point. The electronics part is already satisfied.

You are very correct in there are not many repair facilities around any longer. Speedometer, and tach cables started disappearing in the very early 1980's and were practically gone in the 1990's. One of my first paying jobs was rebuilding and recalibrating automotive instruments.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

pretty odd if your little B20 has a 72 series transmission. should have a little 4 speed spicer or a TR77 series of something. if you could find a double overdrive baby quad it would probably bolt right in . not certain but if it has a single reduction rear end the housin is different on the inside and doesnt have the supports for a double reduction hogs head to bolt in. the hogs head is made to fit in the housing tightliy with the supports on the sides of the bearing cages and they fit against the housing. not that it matters but im thinkin higher gear hogs head might be scarce for that.

It's a TR72. That was the standard transmission. Optional was the TR72O. That had the the overdrive.

It's a TR72. That was the standard transmission. Optional was the TR72O. That had the the overdrive.

I would have thought it would have had a TR-67 unless someone ordered the larger trans. That is a large trans for the engine.

Rob

I'm working with a screen printer for electronic replacement head assemblies. These are to look original from the outside, but modern on the inside. I'm running into trouble getting bezels stamped cost effective at this point. The electronics part is already satisfied.

You are very correct in there are not many repair facilities around any longer. Speedometer, and tach cables started disappearing in the very early 1980's and were practically gone in the 1990's. One of my first paying jobs was rebuilding and recalibrating automotive instruments.

Rob

Rob,

Not sure if you know a fellow named Kevin All in upstate NY. He was suggesting changing the rear end gears. I have the two seed rear but she is still slow. I certainly enjoy reading your posts. Especially the ones from Vinny. Would love to be able to get his rig redone for him like they had on tv. He seems like a great kid.

Rob,

Not sure if you know a fellow named Kevin All in upstate NY. He was suggesting changing the rear end gears. I have the two seed rear but she is still slow. I certainly enjoy reading your posts. Especially the ones from Vinny. Would love to be able to get his rig redone for him like they had on tv. He seems like a great kid.

I know Kevin and have spoken with him several times. Very nice guy and knowlegeble in the old stuff we are attracted to. If I were in your predicament I'd roll another rear axle housing under the the truck. You probably have a 1700 series driveline which is very common. Don't think I'd go any higher than about a 4.30 ratio in the rear myself. I'm assuming you either have an EN290, or EN330, or 331 engine? Those would get along alright at 55mph if not pulling anything heavy.

Vinny is a good kid. Hope I didn't bust his chops too bad but he does have some growing up to do. The membership supports him and I don't want anybody to treat him any different than any other participant/adult. However, if he wants to participate he shouldn't expect the membership to act his age either. He gives up and verbally throws in the towel much too easily. There is a myriad of talent embedded in this site and he'd be foolish to wash that out over something so silly as humor. Hopefully he'll get over this latest pout session and return. As I said earlier it will make him a better young man.

Rob

You guys may be thinking its similar to a Mack junior. But it's the TR72. Wouldn't bull shit you.

My A40 with an EN-377 engine has a TR-67 trans and it's considerably smaller than the 72 series.

Rob

We have the EN 291. I would love an A. What happened with Vinny. I missed the rant.

I meant EN-291. It looks just the same as my EN-377 on the outside. Probably better on fuel economy too........

Rob

I apologize its a TR73. Just checked out the wiki information on this site.

Taking her to a show in Fishkill, NY tomorrow. If any of you are around stop on down.

I think I've heard of that trans but never physically seen one myself. Never was around any B models smaller than a B-42 however.

Rob

yup had me scratchin my head. a 291 331 and 401 all had the tr77 series small transmission behind them, i assume you TR73 is a spicer unit as thats what most B 20 s and B 30's had in them with a two speed rear. the TR72 series is huge and would not bolt up to that engine. the 72 series was in most B50's and up trucks, the 40's and smaller had the TR77 mostly. ive seen some varients as a B61 with a TR67 series and adapter plate. this was also used in a lot of B62's and B68's and had the smaller yolks and universal joints to. i think i would just switch the rear, should be able leave hangers and springs intact and told another housin up as most are universal. we changed the hogs head in a B42T and put a B61 one in which is a 4.62 ratio. its good around town with a direct tranny but i wouldnt wanna pull any weight for it.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg