Mack Lanova Engine Bearings

MurrayL

A mate of mine is restoring a 1942 Mack NR and he would like to know if anyone has crankshaft bearings for the Lanova Diesel.

He needs mains and big end bearings in Standard size....although he is prepared to grind the crank if he can't get standard.

Any leads followed up.

Cheers, Murray

I have all the numbers from a parts list but have no actual bearings.

So can't help.

I'm going to make my Lanova apart this winter so will probably need new parts also.

Don't you know what piston rings your mate fits in?

Vlad.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Hi Vlad,

If you could give me the part numbers for conrod and main bearings that would be a start. We get piston rings made here by JP Pistons in Adelaide, they seem to be okay. I will keep in touch if we manage to get onto parts.

Cheers, Murray

Greetings, Murray,

The following numbers are from Mack NR 1944 Ordnance supply catalog, so they are old.

Although maybe they could help.

Connecting rod bearing

M-62GB 1138 or a pair M-62 GBA 1154

Crank

Main center lower M-64 GB 1190A

upper M-64 GB 1335A

Main front lower M-64 GB 1154A

upper M-64 GB 1321A

Main intermadiate lower M-64 GB 1172A

upper M-64 GB 1328A

Main rear lower M-64 GB 1208A

upper M-64 GB 1342A

Bearing set (all main's) M-64 GBA 1999

All the numbers are of std size bearings, there are also .001 , .002 , .010, .020, .030, .040 and .050 U.S. (marked this way so probably + .00.. inches).

Interesting to know what did you do about cylinder linings. In a reference to piston rings.

Did you keep a standard size?

I haven't the engine apart still but it is stuck.

The man who sold it to me said he has heads removed and saw two cylinders were rotted (I think it's typical)

So I'll probably need to change linings or pistons.

And see a parts problem in the horizont line.

Most modern parts are avalible here but old ones are difficult.

All the best,

Vlad

No problems Murray,

I have a lot of to do about a chassis.

There is a warm time this monthes so a big stuff must been constructed.

All the best,

Vlad.

My L model with a Lanova has been at the mechanics for a year and a half. Parts have been nearly impossible to find. The truck came with a lot of new and used parts. The new parts were gotten from John Chalmers, but he is no longer in the parts business. I was told I had everything needed to put it together, but some of the parts were too worn to use, others were not right and more problems were found the deeper he got. The NOS bearing were not right for the engine because the center bearings are narrower. They had to be cut. We had to have valves made. It needed one liner, but that came with the truck. A parts motor was bought from Gerharts which was a big help, but it still had some of the same problems that the original engine had. Now the search is on for fuel pump and compressor parts. I would not have bought the truck if I had known all of this ahead of time. I'll be afraid to drive it once it is together.

Good luck,

Mike

Mike,

What the L Mack you write about and what the Lanova it has under a hood?

I'm in interest though still doesn't fix any L's with ED.

Vlad

George, Thanks for being such a good friend.

Vlad, The truck is a 1950 LJT1D. I think they call the engine an END672, but I am not sure of that. It is one number off of some familiar number. Ron Smith on here would know. It was his truck.

Mike

Hi Vlad,

My mate said that he had no troubles with the liners and pistons, he had 4 motors to work with so just bought a new set of rings.

He has a couple of options going now with bearings in Australia, so he may be okay, we will wait and see. He has completed the chassis and axles and is to the stage of repairing cab. rear panels. There are quite a few NR original parts around Aust., its just a matter of getting on to them....i had a brand new compressor which i donated to his cause.

Cheers,

Murray

Hi Vlad,

My mate said that he had no troubles with the liners and pistons, he had 4 motors to work with so just bought a new set of rings.

He has a couple of options going now with bearings in Australia, so he may be okay, we will wait and see. He has completed the chassis and axles and is to the stage of repairing cab. rear panels. There are quite a few NR original parts around Aust., its just a matter of getting on to them....i had a brand new compressor which i donated to his cause.

Cheers,

Murray

Murray,

Glad about you have no great problem for NR parts.

It isn't so at me although I met a guy in Holland who's very friendly and helps alot.

There are mostly big works at me with no hard needs of parts at the moment. Looking forward I'll need lots of.

All the best,

Vlad

George, Thanks for being such a good friend.

Vlad, The truck is a 1950 LJT1D. I think they call the engine an END672, but I am not sure of that. It is one number off of some familiar number. Ron Smith on here would know. It was his truck.

Mike

Mike, an END 672 is a late series Lanova in the relation to ED Lanova of Mack NR.

That one is of 519 cu.in. and has 131 bhp. It's probably the first production Mack engine with Lanova combustion chamber.

There were Buda - Lanova diesels put into Mack trucks earlier.

That's strange to me that NR model was built basically as an L although I didn't fix still any L's with ED.

The ED's were used in some early F series also.

Vlad

post-3971-0-48663200-1341923352_thumb.jp

post-3971-0-75436200-1341923448_thumb.jp

post-3971-0-09398700-1341923584_thumb.jp