1948 Federal

I finally picked up my '48 Federal that has been hanging out with a bunch of mean ole Bulldogs at Rob's place in Farmington for the last two years. I was under the impression from the previous owner that it had engine problems and wouldn't run, but some fresh gas and a hot battery was all it took to get it going again. :D YouTube link attached

"http://www.youtube.c...vyZiQc-M?rel=0"

post-2633-0-53123800-1341636416_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Glad you made it home soundly. I knew the engine wasn't stuck as I turned it over by hand, but never tried to start it.

It's parking space certainly looks lonely. I'll have to fill it you know.......

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I remember you saying the engine wasn't stuck and that got me thinking, and me thinking is usually a dangerous thing.

I'm sure that old gray cat will appreciate you filling that parking spot with something confortable again.

He really likes the center of the hood on the RL I started in the shop for a "stand in".

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I probably won't attempt a full on restoration. It's been modified quite a bit over the years. I'm debating on whether or not to keep the tandems. They are not original to the truck. I'm not even sure which model of Timken worm drive axles it actually has. They seem to be in pretty good shape though, don't have a bunch of slack in them or anything. I know the tires diameters have to be closely matched if I keep them. Do any of you guys recognize them?

If I keep the tandems, I'm going to replace the front axle with one that uses Budd wheels. I have one laying around that I think will work fine. However, if I were to find a similar vintage 6 spoke (Dayton Style) single rear axle with hydraulic brakes and a decent gear ratio I'd probably go that route.

post-2633-0-39547400-1341766080_thumb.jp

I probably won't attempt a full on restoration. It's been modified quite a bit over the years. I'm debating on whether or not to keep the tandems. They are not original to the truck. I'm not even sure which model of Timken worm drive axles it actually has. They seem to be in pretty good shape though, don't have a bunch of slack in them or anything. I know the tires diameters have to be closely matched if I keep them. Do any of you guys recognize them?

If I keep the tandems, I'm going to replace the front axle with one that uses Budd wheels. I have one laying around that I think will work fine. However, if I were to find a similar vintage 6 spoke (Dayton Style) single rear axle with hydraulic brakes and a decent gear ratio I'd probably go that route.

Whoa.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

Awesome truck !

Tandem looks good.

Maybe the truck looks strange with spokes in front / Budd's in rear.

Seeing the picture I'm for spokes.

The wheel base is relatively shot so single axle would be also good.

Although I like tandems.

Best wishes to keep her moving !

Vlad

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I like the look of the tandems too. I'll probably swap the front axle over to Budd wheels for now as don't like the mis-matched wheel types.

I think it originally had a OHV 371 cubic inch Continental, but that's long gone. A previous owner installed a Buick Nailhead in it connected to a 4 speed, which is then coupled to the original 5 speed. I'll probably keep it Nailhead powered for now as it actually runs pretty good. Whoever did the swap actually had some decent fabrication skills.

I have a 1091 cubic inch Hall-Scott 400 sitting in the shop floor should I become bored with the Nailhead. :D

post-2633-0-89730200-1342279377_thumb.jp

I had a 401 in a 63 LeSabre, and a 425 in a 64 Wildcat and they were both very good engines. I ran around with a guy that had a 70 Riviera w/a 430 and that thing would stomp on big block Chevy's all day.

Rob