1956 Mack B475CF on ebay

Olivetroad

Been on there a couple of times. Very rough and very plain for the price. Sometimes there is a reason something is rare; like the travesty of putting a chrysler engine into a Mack. Who else but the feds would buy that?

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Been on there a couple of times. Very rough and very plain for the price. Sometimes there is a reason something is rare; like the travesty of putting a chrysler engine into a Mack. Who else but the feds would buy that?

R 410....413 Chrysler V8 :whistling:

But it does make sense..Civil Defense and US military in the 50's early 60's used the 354 industrial Chrysler for air raid siren generator power plants and such.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

yea they ran chrysler engines back then. think maybe they ordered the B's like that so the parts were common with everything else they were running? they were built on a totally dodge chassis i believe. my B613T had a max wedge 413 industrial sinfully placed under the hood when we got it. its still in the garage on the engine stand. brand new with about 200 miles on it. Keith, the one with the nice green R410P got the 5 and 3 speed tranny from it a few years back. Matt

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I wondered why the military spec'd a Chysler engine in a Mack truck. If they wanted a engine similar to their other industrial engines did they also

spec Chysler engines in all their other administrative vehicles in order to maintain commonality? I've never heard that the "B450CF" and "B475CF"

models were built on Dodge chassis. I know that during WWII Mack mounted fire bodies on Chevrolet and Brockway chassis but during wartime trucks

had to be rushed into service and everyone built similar vehicles. Seems strange that Mack would mount their own cab and body on another

manufacturer's chassis. The U.S. Navy had a Mack stationed at the Chelsea Naval Hospital in Massachusetts.

bulldogboy

Every thing I've seen on them, it is a Chrysler power pack in a B chassis. Bart Vanderveen's book " A Record of Macks in the Service and Beyond " touches on the Military and Civil Defense fire trucks. The Chrysler was specified because in 1955 to 1957 by the DOD for a few reasons. It was easily repairable by general mechanics, 300 to 345 h.p., they were used in Air Raid siren power units, gen sets for Civil Defense, parts were available almost every where and lastly Chrysler was supplying trucks from 1/2 ton to 2.5 ton, tank engines and general staff cars until 1957 when the General got is Chevys in.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE