slippery/dry valve B 61T

teleman

When I was working under the dash I found my slippery/dry valve is disconnected.Should I have this hooked up?its a single axle going to be bob tailed except to haul my sons race car to the speedway once in a while.If I should have this working, where does it hook to...thanks

When I was working under the dash I found my slippery/dry valve is disconnected.Should I have this hooked up?its a single axle going to be bob tailed except to haul my sons race car to the speedway once in a while.If I should have this working, where does it hook to...thanks

Kind of up to you. It limits the front steer axle braking effort about 30% from the rears. There is a valve on the rt. front frame rail this valve actuates and it called a limiting valve. You can get modern valves that are automatic in operation. Being empty most of the time it will serve little purpose to reconnect it. Pulling a heavy trailer they would significantly reduce the front wheel skid during braking.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I still have my limiter hooked up, even though when I bought the truck the front brakes were unhooked. I hooked everything back up and the limiter DOES work> I tried it once and it surely does take away from braking power. Wow, don't ever try it bobtailing as you WON'T stop in time(I tried it on a quiet road and was like it had nearly no brakes as the back locked up and slid). Yikes.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I still have my limiter hooked up, even though when I bought the truck the front brakes were unhooked. I hooked everything back up and the limiter DOES work> I tried it once and it surely does take away from braking power. Wow, don't ever try it bobtailing as you WON'T stop in time(I tried it on a quiet road and was like it had nearly no brakes as the back locked up and slid). Yikes.

It's kinda hard to imagine how hard the brakes on a steer axle work until they do not work. Front brakes are biased for 70% application force as per design. This is for the amount of weight shift the vehicle goes through when brakes are applied. The kinetic energy that is forced forward upon application of braking effort is great.

Another testament to this design is to back up fast, and slam the brakes on. The rear brakes seldom will lock, but the fronts easily lock. This of course is from the "unloading" of the steer axle.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The truck was really bad around town when the fronts were unhooked. Wow, that was a real eye opener when I first started driving it. I was so relieved when I hooked the front back up.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

The truck was really bad around town when the fronts were unhooked. Wow, that was a real eye opener when I first started driving it. I was so relieved when I hooked the front back up.

Lot of "sling" wreckers around here had the front brakes on a toggle switch to remove their usage when hauling. You couldn't keep the front tires from skidding when loaded. A flip of the switch brought them right back into play when the truck was empty.

Rob

My Crackerbox had the limiter and I could tell the difference, I have to check and see if someone blocked off the lines to the fronts on my Pete because it dont stop good

bobtailing I get the brake lock up pretty easy.

I've seen the limiting valves stick in the "limiting" section of the valve and the complaint is always poor brake performance. I believe the default circuit in some of those is "limited". I'd change it as they are not expensive especially when safety is the issue. Ensure your foot valve is working as it should also. If it is not supplying air correctly, the brakes cannot work as designed.

Rob

It would put the thrill into a response when the driver had the "wet road" switch on and we would go through a red light at about 20 mph with the driver standing on the brakes and looking like "What the hell?" It was a great day when we removed them from all of the rigs.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!