Engine I.D?

The engine in my C600 has E-350 above the timing cover.In the notes with the truck it says 1991 300,set to 250 specs.Also says casting numbers 239 GB5410A-P2.Stamped numbers 5423 P11-326-484

Could be an original E6-350 block and set to what the notes state.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Any way to find out if it's a Maxidyne/Econodyne?

About the only way is to assume the stamped numbers in the injection pump tag are correct and call, a pump shop, or research them for application. This is not accurate if the pump has been recalibrated, or converted.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Here's a pic,and the numbers off the governor.6VB250/1050C-56238.The engine is dark grey,pump is green like the older engines.

It is predominantly those numbers from the injection pump tag, and the governor tag you will need to work with. For the most part torque and horsepower curves are generated by these parts and their calibration(s).

The absolute best thing to do is go to a truck shop and have them chain it down and dynomometer the truck for horsepower and torque curves. Install a pyrometer prior so you can watch one of the most important things, (exhaust temperature) so you don't melt things. With a competent shop doing the work this will be no worry as they will use external equipment fitted to your engine.

I know you are dealing with a hodge podge of parts put together.

Rob

I'm thinking it's a 350 with a 250 pump,but i could be wrong....

It probably started as a 350 block. Engines can be built to whatever. The pump and governor settings are what controll this. There are variations to the base engines to allow them to withstand the higher stresses of higher calibration setting and therfore horsepower, but one can't be certain of what is what unless the truck is dyno'd.

I would think a 350 block derated to 250 would last a good long time with decent routine maintenance.

Rob

The truck has a 10 speed direct duplex,i'd like to install a different trans. down the road.That's why i'd really like to know how it's tuned as far as Maxi/Econo.

Get some time in the saddle before you start thinking of changing. That duplex is a fine transmission and if a 72 series, "hell for stout" in the application it's in now.

Rob

My .02

Since there is no room for any coolers, likely they detuned it back to a 250hp motor? Since it likely would just burn up trying to make any more. Should last forever like that. The Duplex will too.

How about this: take for a drive and see if it lugs down to 1100? Not abusively, but see if it will try to pull itself back up. I'd bet a Thermodyne will just fall on it's face.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"