Brockway show truck

vision386

Found this over at the Brockway site,thought some of you would enjoy seeing it. From what i could gather,this was Brockways show truck (circa 1974) i found it interesting because of the unique paint scheme,and the fact that the lower fenders,and headlight surrounds are both chromed! i often wonder what happens to trucks like this after their "show duty" is over,especially since in 74' Brockway was just a few years from going under.......................Mark

post-5836-0-78433700-1334503696_thumb.jp

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Great pictures! Wild paint! Thanks for sharing!

In the early 70's, my dad had a cabover Brockway single axle with a 220 Cummins. It's paint was just plain white with North American decals. It was teamed up with a White cabover, GMC Astro with a 671, lots and lots and lots of Internationals that came with the business. He hated the 'Binders but the dealer bent over backwards to get the trucks in, repaired and out super fast.

Jim

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Found this over at the Brockway site,thought some of you would enjoy seeing it. From what i could gather,this was Brockways show truck (circa 1974) i found it interesting because of the unique paint scheme,and the fact that the lower fenders,and headlight surrounds are both chromed! i often wonder what happens to trucks like this after their "show duty" is over,especially since in 74' Brockway was just a few years from going under.......................Mark

OMG!!!! Mark Mark Mark!!...... My good friend my Mack buddy my Jersey brother!!! Brockway did not go under!!! they were in fact doin better then Mack there parent co.!! and after loosin to many bids to Brockway, Mack shut them DOWN!!!! Look up how Mack closed them, it wasn't very nice!! Thats why sometimes when I see how good Mack is doin, I think maybe Volvo might do the same thing? As I have before on the site, Mack always did and still does make a great truck!! It's the corp. people who run these co's that SUCK!!! I hope all is well and life is good!

Ernie DS

• Like 2

OMG!!!! Mark Mark Mark!!...... My good friend my Mack buddy my Jersey brother!!! Brockway did not go under!!! they were in fact doin better then Mack there parent co.!! and after loosin to many bids to Brockway, Mack shut them DOWN!!!! Look up how Mack closed them, it wasn't very nice!! Thats why sometimes when I see how good Mack is doin, I think maybe Volvo might do the same thing? As I have before on the site, Mack always did and still does make a great truck!! It's the corp. people who run these co's that SUCK!!! I hope all is well and life is good!

Ernie DS

I agree 100% Ernie! just was'nt sure if any of the younger guys knew what REALLY happened between Mack and Brockway! damn shame if you ask me,i used to have a brochure that Mack put out to explain why they shut down Brockway,it was alot of B.S. about not competing for the same market,personally i think they could have co-existed,and made a killing in the vocational truck market,especially after most everyone agreed Brockway was "The most rugged truck in the world"...................Mark

In the early 70's, my dad had a cabover Brockway single axle with a 220 Cummins. It's paint was just plain white with North American decals. It was teamed up with a White cabover, GMC Astro with a 671, lots and lots and lots of Internationals that came with the business. He hated the 'Binders but the dealer bent over backwards to get the trucks in, repaired and out super fast.

Jim

Have any pictures of the other trucks? i am always interested in seeing "vintage" moving vans,as my dad was leased to NAVL for over thirty years,and me to Atlas for 22............................................Mark

On the outskirts of Cortland (Where Brockways were made) there is a barn type thing and it has a whole bunch of stuff painted on it and one thing is a Brockway. Also in fourth grade, we were doing New York State History. We had to make a poster of one thing in NY. I put brockways were made in Cortland and Huskytown USA, on it and a picture of a Brockway.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

Have any pictures of the other trucks? i am always interested in seeing "vintage" moving vans,as my dad was leased to NAVL for over thirty years,and me to Atlas for 22............................................Mark

True Bedbuggers!

Mark , I wish I had the pictures for you. I wish I had them for me.

It was Cape Cod Moving and Storage back then on Bearses Way, Hyannis, MA. When Dad got the business, it was Global and then moved to NA. All his stuff was single axe and 30-35ft trailers. Lots of stuff has changed in the trade since then.

He sold it in 1973.

Jim

Jim

Jim

I remember seeing seemingly hundreds of single axle White 7400's and RC's, Astro's, Transtar A's and B's, Fords and probably some others pulling for NA, all white with blue frames. I believe they were all lease-purchase trucks as NA was pushing the idea pretty hard back then.

Jim

On the outskirts of Cortland (Where Brockways were made) there is a barn type thing and it has a whole bunch of stuff painted on it and one thing is a Brockway. Also in fourth grade, we were doing New York State History. We had to make a poster of one thing in NY. I put brockways were made in Cortland and Huskytown USA, on it and a picture of a Brockway.

Way ta go Vinny! When I was a kid back in first or second grade, we had a thing called 'Show an Tell', and all the kids would bring in all kinds of stuff from home, well I would bring in all kinds of truck stuff from my Dad's truck garage!! Point's, condedsors one time I brought in a generator! But the very best thing that I brought was a Brockway Husky dog an a Mack Bulldog! It was a big hit!

BULLHUSK

• Like 1

Way ta go Vinny! When I was a kid back in first or second grade, we had a thing called 'Show an Tell', and all the kids would bring in all kinds of stuff from home, well I would bring in all kinds of truck stuff from my Dad's truck garage!! Point's, condedsors one time I brought in a generator! But the very best thing that I brought was a Brockway Husky dog an a Mack Bulldog! It was a big hit!

BULLHUSK

now thats just too redneck for me,,,man those brockways are pissa,,,one of these days im planning a trip to cortland show,,,wish i could go every year...bob

BULLHUSK

Wow thats cool!! I brought in one of my bulldogs to show all the girls when I was in second or third grade. I was talking to them about Macks and I said I would bring a bulldog in. They thought it was cool. I also remember bringing in a diecast metal Agway MH Mack tractor trailer in for show and tell.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

True Bedbuggers!

Mark , I wish I had the pictures for you. I wish I had them for me.

It was Cape Cod Moving and Storage back then on Bearses Way, Hyannis, MA. When Dad got the business, it was Global and then moved to NA. All his stuff was single axe and 30-35ft trailers. Lots of stuff has changed in the trade since then.

He sold it in 1973.

Jim

Jim,you are certainly correct about the "changes" to the moving and storage industry,not the same as it once was,and i doubt it ever will be again. Had things not took a turn for the worse,i prolly would have retired from Atlas,just got to be too much politics and B.S. for me! the works hard enough without all that!....................Mark

Hey Mark, Found a picture of the company that bought my father's business. They were out of Quincy, MA. This picture was taken about 1977 when he still had interest in the property.

The trailer may have been one of ours repainted and I think the Loadstar on the far right was a repaint as well.

Jim

Jim

Hey Mark, Found a picture of the company that bought my father's business. They were out of Quincy, MA. This picture was taken about 1977 when he still had interest in the property.

The trailer may have been one of ours repainted and I think the Loadstar on the far right was a repaint as well.

Jim

Nice picture! thanks for sharing it,i always liked the "New England" style paintjobs,fancy pinstripes and so-fourth. That area is one of the last places left that still paints moving vans up in this style,i truly wish i had taken more pictures early on in my career,you just dont see trucks like these anymore.............................Mark

• 4 weeks later...

Jim

Some classy looking equipment there, the stripes look great.

Jim

I read somewhere that Brockway actually developed the Superliner and had a couple prototypes and mack wanted it so that was part of the shutdown.

If you google the above, you will see the Brockway which in fact is a superliner. The Brock would have been a beautiful truck with that grill and the Detroit V12 option!! Google Brockway superliner prototype

BULLHUSK